Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop shaft log replacement

v-drive
    Found a leak from under the log so I took it off but broke off some of the screws in doing so. I drilled one out but can't for the life of me find any material other than fiberglass holding these screws in. what do I do
    HELLLLP!.............v-drive

dmontzsta
    I remember this happening to me. The Lavey is actually wood all across the center, so you are going through wood and fiberglass. What I did was take a small phillips and put it on the bolt, then pounded it through with a hammer. It did mess up the nice threaded wood/fiberglass, but I just put silicone on it and it never leaked a drop again.

v-drive
    Bump

GofastRacer
    That's common for shaftlog bolts to be threaded into the floor, no big deal just drill thru the floor and come up with flatheads, the way it should be done to begin with!..

GofastRacer
    but I just put silicone on it and it never leaked a drop again.
    As long as you don't spill or have a gas leak and it ends up by the shaftlog!..

river redy
    same thing happened to me and they put a hiel coil in,but I try and fix things myself and I end up paying to get it done i hate it when that happens!!!!

v-drive
    That's common for shaftlog bolts to be threaded into the floor, no big deal just drill thru the floor and come up with flatheads, the way it should be done to begin with!..
    Thankyou, I was hoping someone would say this. Is there any special adhesive I should use when I do this... v-drive

BILLY.B
    Thankyou, I was hoping someone would say this. Is there any special adhesive I should use when I do this... v-driveArt was absolutely correct in his answer. Alot of the boats that we flip over have counter sunk holes around the shaft log and are through bolted. You can use marine tex 2 part epoxy. You don't want to put it on to thick as to interfer with alignment but enough to seal. When you tighten it up you can wipe any excess away with water on your finger to make a nice clean line. Once it hardens your done...Just my .02

v-drive
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Your help has been much appreciated.
    v-drive

Dave Sammons
    Is there any special adhesive I should use when I do this... v-drive
    I might be too late with this, but, for the last couple years I've been using 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200, Part # 051135-05203. It comes in a 3oz tube and is available at most Marine Supply houses. The stuff is really tuff, I've used it on all the thru-hull fittings, including the shaftlog, and never had a problem. Oh, and it comes in black too, which makes for a clean finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast