Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welding schools??

dumbandyoung
    School wouldnt be a bad idea but if youre intent is to endup buying equipment anyhow might as well just do some research and see what best fits your needs and buy it, pick up some books, do a internet research maybe and start practicing. The basics arent that tough once you realize what your actually looking at, the flow, slag, material and all that. Tig and Mig are both gas welding btw. Good luck, could turn out to be quite a hobby/busniess
    I thought tig and mig are acetylene?

Ryphraph
    I thought tig and mig are acetylene?
    TIG and MIG use inert gas to shield the arc. either argon for TIG and argon/co2 mix for MIG.
    Ryph

vee-driven
    go with miller, thats what i prefer. are you lookin for a tig or a mig welder.

dumbandyoung
    TIG and MIG use inert gas to shield the arc. either argon for TIG and argon/co2 mix for MIG.
    Ryph
    ohhhh thanks for clearing that up
    go with miller, thats what i prefer. are you lookin for a tig or a mig welder.
    Well I know the mig is easier but soon after I would wanna get the tig..so I was thinking just start out with the tig....What would you suggest?

BigBoyBlue
    OCC Junior College has a big welding program. All different types of welding to learn there. I looked into that and fab school.

Ryphraph
    ohhhh thanks for clearing that up
    Well I know the mig is easier but soon after I would wanna get the tig..so I was thinking just start out with the tig....What would you suggest?
    I started out with a TIG machine. I had a lot of experience oxy/acetolene welding. Looking back it may have been better to go with the MIG first if you want to get a quick start. The TIG requires a lot of extra supplies to get going like electrodes, collets, filler metals and other junk that adds up. It may be frustrating at first too.
    The MIG you can start burning metal the first day probably. The TIG machine will probably be the more expensive too. The cheaper TIG machines usually run just DC current which is fine if you only want to burn steel. If you want to weld aluminum you need an AC/DC machine with hi-freq.
    Ryph

vee-driven
    what are you welding, steel, aluminum, stainless?????

dumbandyoung
    what are you welding, steel, aluminum, stainless?????
    Id probably wanna do a lot of steel and stainless to start out. I hear aluminum takes alot of skill.
    I started out with a TIG machine. I had a lot of experience oxy/acetolene welding. Looking back it may have been better to go with the MIG first if you want to get a quick start. The TIG requires a lot of extra supplies to get going like electrodes, collets, filler metals and other junk that adds up. It may be frustrating at first too.
    The MIG you can start burning metal the first day probably. The TIG machine will probably be the more expensive too. The cheaper TIG machines usually run just DC current which is fine if you only want to burn steel. If you want to weld aluminum you need an AC/DC machine with hi-freq.
    Ryph
    I defiantly see your point! I really want turn key, that way I can start practicing beads right away.
    Does Miller make a good entry level Mig machine?

Ryphraph
    I defiantly see your point! I really want turn key, that way I can start practicing beads right away.
    Does Miller make a good entry level Mig machine?
    This is why I would recommend a class like Tri-City. It is there, setup and ready to go. They will have materials to use and you can spend most of your time burning metal.
    When I go to do something it takes me half a day just to get the garage organized and get my materials together.
    Ryph

dumbandyoung
    This is why I would recommend a class like Tri-City. It is there, setup and ready to go. They will have materials to use and you can spend most of your time burning metal.
    When I go to do something it takes me half a day just to get the garage organized and get my materials together.
    Ryph
    Hahaha The only draw back is you CAN drink frosty beer in your garage, but you CANT at school.
    DO they let you build your own stuff there? Or do they give you assignments?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast