Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HONDO T-DECK RUNNER BOTTOM

lakesmodified
    I have a question for those "V-drive gurus....
    I'm presently looking at purchasing a 1979 Hondo T-Deck Runnerbottom project and was wondering how stable these hulls are at high speed? Do they take chop at all? Can they turn hard, or are they mostly a straight line runner? Anything specifically I should look at? What would a typical 1979 with a mild 454 in running condition sell for? Thanks in advance , Ivan

Sangster
    Check out www.dragboats.com You will find plenty of prices

superdave013
    Chop, no
    turn hard, no
    mostly a straight line runner, yes and damn good at it.
    A few things to look at. Look at the stringers to see if the are soild. They sometimes come loose by the v drive on the right side.
    Look at the inside of the floor. If the glass is getting clowdy looking could be starting to delamante.
    I had one and I miss it every day.

My old man currently owns a 1980 Hondo that we use to run in Pro Gas Flat for years. Never had a problem and was pretty forgiving. Thing ran really well, ran safe and straight. Since it was set up for drag it didn't turn all that well. You can fix that problem though. Is this the first time looking for an older flatbottom?

HavasuDreamin'
    Definately check out the classifieds at www.dragboats.com. I would say for one that is in "excellent" condition with a mild 454...probably looking at $10,000.
    I absolutely love the runner bottoms and flatbottoms, but IMHO, you can really negotiate on these boats because there isn't a HUGE market for them. Good Luck

lakesmodified
    Thanks for all the input. This would be my first "Runner Bottom", though I have owned a couple true flat bottoms over the years. I have never ridden in a runner bottom hull, so I have no idea what to expect. So how do you go about making them turn? Thanks again, Ivan

GofastRacer
    lakesmodified:
    Thanks for all the input. This would be my first "Runner Bottom", though I have owned a couple true flat bottoms over the years. I have never ridden in a runner bottom hull, so I have no idea what to expect. So how do you go about making them turn? Thanks again, IvanFirst, what do you want to do?, go straight or run circles??..A runner bottom is a drag boat, they are made to go straight and fast in nice water!..If you want to to be able to run in the shit and do turns, then you need a circle boat!!.One thing to remember, you can't do both in one boat!!.They are two different species!!....

Sangster
    Like Eagles & Seagulls

GofastRacer
    Couldn't put it better myself!.....

RH
    Could someone tell me what T-Deck and Runnerbottom mean ?
    [ September 28, 2002, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: RH ]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast