Thread: What to clean my headers with?

jrod
    I left some wd-40 on my headers and sure enough it turned them brown in some spots. I have tried mothers, and other chrome/alum polishes but have not got it off. Any one have any ideas on how to get it off. I even used my high speed buffer to get it off and no luck.

Wet Dream
    You can try whatever you want to...that ain't ever going to come out. Anything short of plain ol' water, ski rope, or skin will leave a nice stain. Even life jackets manage to burn cleanly off. But beer, oil, grease, Pepsi, Gatorade will all leave tell tale stains. People are going to tell you to use Blue away and all other things, including alot of elbow grease, it have yet to see any of it work.

FilthyHaBIT
    When my Merc 525 overheated it left the headers a nasty brown color. I tried everything short of removing them and having them rechromed. Nothing worked UNTIL the wife walked down to the boat dock and said I've got something that'll fix that. Yeah right! I sat back and watched her climb into the engine comparment with her container of BAR KEEPERS FRIEND and proceed to scrub away all the yellowing on those pipes. It was pretty sexy to watch a chick work on a motor too! Kudos to her and her BAR KEEPERS FRIEND. You can get it a Lowes and its non abrasive....give it a try.

737jetmech
    When my Merc 525 overheated it left the headers a nasty brown color. I tried everything short of removing them and having them rechromed. Nothing worked UNTIL the wife walked down to the boat dock and said I've got something that'll fix that. Yeah right! I sat back and watched her climb into the engine comparment with her container of BAR KEEPERS FRIEND and proceed to scrub away all the yellowing on those pipes. It was pretty sexy to watch a chick work on a motor too! Kudos to her and her BAR KEEPERS FRIEND. You can get it a Lowes and its non abrasive....give it a try.
    We will have to agree ... The stuff works on iron stains caused from our well water that nothing else will touch.
    Bob

buckey79
    I got all my stains out with blue job. Of course I spent five to six hours on one header. But it did work. And it stayed pretty clean untill I ran my headers dry a few weeks ago. You can ge tit at any Harley dealer.

Wet Dream
    I got all my stains out with blue job. Of course I spent five to six hours on one header. But it did work. And it stayed pretty clean untill I ran my headers dry a few weeks ago. You can ge tit at any Harley dealer.
    You had much better luck than I did. But then again, I gave it maybe 15 minutes. I stand corrected. If you guys are getting good results with this stuff, more power to you.

g935
    You had much better luck than I did. But then again, I gave it maybe 15 minutes. I stand corrected. If you guys are getting good results with this stuff, more power to you.
    I had my headers ceramic coated last year and I run them dry. A couple of weeks ago, I had a throwable cushion rest up against the header and left an ugly dark brown stain. Mothers took it right off. I also had a valve cover gasket let go and oil got on them. That came off also. I will never chrome headers again. FWIW
    Geoff