Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I don't miss building motors sometimes.

GofastRacer
    Hey Brian, I may have missed this but did you get the "coated" bearings???...

wsuwrhr
    Hey Brian, I may have missed this but did you get the "coated" bearings???...
    No sir.
    I checked with Clevite, I asked about the bearings I had being posibbly mispackaged or overplated bearings. The tech said the bearings would have a blue tint had they been coated.
    The bearings measure exactly what Clevite says they should.
    My crank is on the high side. Problem is it is standard/standard and my crank guy talked me out of turning it down at all because it was so nice.
    I had it coolcased and polished and called it good.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    I re-read your post and I just get irritated.
    I am guessing you scanned through my post or didn't even read it at all.
    Thanks for posting anyway.
    All these xperts! The rods and mains will allways read larger across the parting line than top to bottom! This is because performance bearings are "delta wall", they are thinner at the parting line than at the middle. So if there is any mismatch due to improper, or lack of machining, the thinner edge of the bearing wouldn't tend to scrape the oil film from the crank. Measure the clearance perpendicular to the parting line(90 deg).Clevite and FM have catalogues, this info plus much more, is in there. It is our experience that aftermarket cranks run larger than factory units, this makes the clearances tighter. We use and stock HX bearings(.001 extra clearance), and also can polish a crank to add to the clearance, this is normal activity for engine builders.We set up a 10ths indicating dial bore gauge to the crank journal size to directly read the clearances. Not to be a smart-a**, but this is one reason you should let someone qualified check and assemble your engine. Also never hone the rods or main bores to adjust clearances, the fact that the bore is smaller than the bearing shell is what allows heat transfer from the bearing, and it is also what keeps the bearing from spinning in the bore, its called crush. We allways machine everything to the tighter end of the tolerance limit to enhance the crush. Buy the correct bearings, or remachine the crank. TIMINATOR

I re-read your post and I just get irritated.
    I am guessing you scanned through my post or didn't even read it at all.
    Thanks for posting anyway.
    That is a typical Timinator post.. Irritated me too.

wsuwrhr
    That is a typical Timinator post.. Irritated me too.
    Ok, so you are saying I shouldn't worry about it much?
    It gets kinda personal when you tell a machinist he needs to have someone qualifed measure his shiz.
    :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
    Brian

Jetaholic
    It gets kinda personal when you tell a machinist he needs to have someone qualifed measure his shiz.
    :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
    Brian
    I think I'm qualified enough to measure my own "shiz"

steelcomp
    All these xperts! The rods and mains will allways read larger across the parting line than top to bottom! This is because performance bearings are "delta wall", they are thinner at the parting line than at the middle. So if there is any mismatch due to improper, or lack of machining, the thinner edge of the bearing wouldn't tend to scrape the oil film from the crank. Measure the clearance perpendicular to the parting line(90 deg).Clevite and FM have catalogues, this info plus much more, is in there. It is our experience that aftermarket cranks run larger than factory units, this makes the clearances tighter. We use and stock HX bearings(.001 extra clearance), and also can polish a crank to add to the clearance, this is normal activity for engine builders.We set up a 10ths indicating dial bore gauge to the crank journal size to directly read the clearances. Not to be a smart-a**, but this is one reason you should let someone qualified check and assemble your engine. Also never hone the rods or main bores to adjust clearances, the fact that the bore is smaller than the bearing shell is what allows heat transfer from the bearing, and it is also what keeps the bearing from spinning in the bore, its called crush. We allways machine everything to the tighter end of the tolerance limit to enhance the crush. Buy the correct bearings, or remachine the crank. TIMINATOR
    All these experts!!! LOL...so where do you fit in? I'd lke to see you polish a crank to remove material. That's a laugh, and if that's "normal activity" in your "expert" opinion, I'm sorry for the guys you do work for. My guess is a machinist like Brian knows more about tight tolerance measurements than you do. Engines have a few areas where there are considerably tight tolerances, but for the most part, it's +/- a fat brick, from a machinist's standpoint. It's been my experience that most engine builders (or I should say engine assemblers) really don't know much about "machining", and really only know enough to male themselves dangereous. The tolerances in bore dia's for rods and mains are there to allow for 1) errors, and 2) adjustments. The engineers and designers came up with those numbers so that even at the low side, the dia. will still provide the proper amount of interfearance, weather it be for bearing crush, press, or what have you. There's nothing wrong with shooting for the low side of a tolerance to get another few tenths, if that's what you need, and there's no benefit in "enhancing" the crush. Also, for quite some time, now, almost all babbitt bearings are thinner at the parting line, not just performance bearings. This was done to allow for the expansion of the end of the bearing becauase of the crush, not a mismatch possibility.
    Next time you decide you're going to give a lecture, at least know WTF you're talking about.
    So typical.

rrrr
    My guess is a machinist like Brian knows more about tight tolerance measurements than you do. Engines have a few areas where there are considerably tight tolerances, but for the most part, it's +/- a fat brick, from a machinist's standpoint.
    LOL!!

I was able to get a tech number for Clevite from Summit.
    I did find out about the X number, but that will only give me .0014 clearance.
    this does't really make alot of sense to me, the X bearings are .001 more clearence, which would give you .0025-.003. Maybe I'am wrong.

wsuwrhr
    this does't really make alot of sense to me, the X bearings are .001 more clearence, which would give you .0025-.003. Maybe I'am wrong.
    Thats the problem, I am thinking I will end up at .0014
    I don't know what I am going to do.
    Brian

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast