Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer question

BrendellaJet
    I lost a wheel bearing this weekend. Luckily I was in my nieghborhood when it happened so I could limp it home.
    Where can I find new bearings?
    Do all boat trailers use the same setup?
    What do I torque the spindle nut to?
    Im gonna bite the bullet and rebuild all 4 wheels. If anyone has any pointers I would appreciate them!
    thanks.

DelawareDave
    You should be able to take the bearings and seal to a good auto parts store, or a local bearing supply house to get them matched up. If you need a new hub, you might have to look for a trailer sales place or something local, unless you want to order the parts.
    Most trailers are similar in the bearing setup. Usually, you snug up the retaining nut to 0 play in the bearing, then back off to the first place you can put the cotter pin, or lock, depending on the style.
    I just replaced one hub, and the other bearings and seals on the other 3 wheels. Fortunately, for me, there is a trailer parts place about 20 minutes away. A $100 bill covered everything.

BrendellaJet
    Thanks DD. Im sure there is a place that is within 10 minutes of me. Price sounds right too.

wsuwrhr
    I second a bearing shop, they should have anything you need.

GofastRacer
    Ya know, I tried a bearing house(actually a couple of them)and they say go to a parts store that's what they're for, they don't carry common automotive and trailer stuff!..

wsuwrhr
    Ya know, I tried a bearing house(actually a couple of them)and they say go to a parts store that's what they're for, they don't carry common automotive and trailer stuff!..
    Yea but you are in AZ GoFaster man.
    It is differn't in Kalifornia.
    Brian

Fiat48
    Should be a number on the bearings. If you have a Napa store...they are real good about carrying that stuff.
    Hope you did not hurt the spindle but if you did...generally you can clean that up with emery cloth.
    Consider bearing buddies or there may even be a grease zert on the hub somewhere.

v-drive
    Baums picked up mine for me, just make sure you get the metal retainers on the rollers. :coffeycup pop

curtis73
    Most bearings are identical between trailers. Lighter trailers often have 1" inner and outer bearings. As you go up, the inner bearing gets larger first; then next step being 1-1/16" But, as long as you know your inside diameter of the bearing you can pretty much ask for a 1-1/16" trailer bearing and you'll be sure that its right.
    When I install them I torque them to about 30 or 40 lb ft to make sure they're fully seated, then back them off slowly while spinning the hub. Too tight and you'll notice increased drag on the hub. Too loose and you'll notice a tiny bit of play when you push/pull the hub in and out. You want it in between; no play in and out, but no additional drag from having the nut too tight. Then you can find the nearest hole and put your cotter pin in. You can go tighter on the nut to get to the hole but only if its super close. Its almost always better to come out to line up the hole even if it makes a tiny hair of play in the hub, rather than risking it being too tight which will build heat.

BrendellaJet
    Should be a number on the bearings. If you have a Napa store...they are real good about carrying that stuff.
    Hope you did not hurt the spindle but if you did...generally you can clean that up with emery cloth.
    Consider bearing buddies or there may even be a grease zert on the hub somewhere.
    I've go tth ebearing buddy's. This particular wheel thought that it didn't need it any more and decided to get rid of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast