Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I stop the PORPOISE?

stoker22405
    Buy a new boat

Tom Brown
    ... they suggested I try a 23 pitch 4 blade prop and raise the jack plate some more....do you guys think this will help?
    I'd jack it before you try a new prop. I suspect jacking will help a lot more than the prop.

Forkin' Crazy
    I'd jack it before you try a new prop. I suspect jacking will help a lot more than the prop.
    I'll agree with that, but what kind of prop is on it? Got a digital camera? Boat pics may help also.
    Usually 4 blade is a smaller diameter, so that may help in reducing bow lift, depending on how much cup and rake it has.

WriedtStuff
    I am not sure the make on the prop. It is a 21 pitch..is all I know.
    I just bought a Laser II 22 pitch off ebay, and was going to try it...but outside diameter of the hub is about 1/4" smaller than the 21 pitch prop...so when I mount the Laser, it has a gap all the way around between the prop and the housing of the lower unit....is this prop going to work? I have run "over the hub" props before, but this is "thru the hub" prop with gaps that will allow the exhaust to go over the hub also. And it is already a vented prop.
    I will try to get some pics tonight.
    Also, how do I tell if I need a new thrust washer? When it is totally gone?

Forkin' Crazy
    The smaller barrel of the hub will allow exhaust to ventilate the blades, causing it to rev up when coming on top. This is good if you need it, i.e. like when using a larger pitch too keep it from lugging out of the hole.
    Looks like a ModVP hull. Did you ever put a straight edge on the center pod or sponsons to see if it has hook in it?
    Nice boat, BTW.

Forkin' Crazy
    However, for top end performance you will loose some mph. as the smaller hub creates more slip.
    ....um.... That is not true. It is a lot more complicated than that.
    BTW Thrust washers will last a long time. The only time I have had to replace one was when I spun a hub and it damaged the washer.

Forkin' Crazy
    At speed the exhaust doesn't "climb" up the blades. Take an over the hub prop for example, all the exhaust flows on the outside of the hub.

WriedtStuff
    I should have turned the prop so you could see it is a Laser II. It already has vents in it...I'm just curious if the vents and the smaller hub will be too much slip. Guess I will just have to try it and see.
    Oh. my engine has has the exhaust ported just above the cavitation plate. I have to assume some previsous owner did this. There are 5 3/4 diameter holes drilled in the mid section just above the plate...so the exhaust blows straight down onto the plate. You can see the dark sooty spots in my pics above.

Forkin' Crazy
    If he drilled the exhaust, you shouldn't have much problem coming out of the hole.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast