Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How do I stop the PORPOISE?

Forkin' Crazy
    I sent you an email at least a week ago???

sorry dog
    You'll know the first time you try to plane if that prop will work or not. My guess is you'll peg the tach for the first 30 feet and then the prop will get enough bite and be fine after...but if the boat is too heavy then it may not get enough bite to catch.
    An easy way to experiment with weight is to go buy 100# sand an try that.
    I've run a couple of Laser 2's and thought that they were good all round props.

73kona455
    The Lazer 22 pitch that you bought I think is the wrong prop for your lower unit. Mercury and Mariner had a 4 3/4 gearcase and a 4 1/4 gearcase. I know this cause I have a Mariner 150 that has the 4 1/4 gearcase and a Mercury 200 that has a 4 3/4 gearcase. It just depends what size it is. The props are interchangeable but they both have their intended uses. When your prop is off measure the diameter of the gearcase I bet it is 4 3/4 and the prop you bought is 4 1/4. It will work but you won't have the best results.
    i have run a small barrel prop on a large diameter gearcase for years without any problems or performance loss...with his exhaust relieved above the water the exhaust coming out the hub is greatly reduced...now think about the amount of water flowing over the gearcase....do u think this small amount of exhaust exiting around the prop is really gonna cause a problem?..the water flow will be alot greater than the exhaust flow.........

73kona455
    i think i would start by lowering the motor on the jack plate.. and start moving it up a little at a time till you find the sweet spot where it will carry the bow with no porpoise....take it to the lake and play with it till it works right

WriedtStuff
    Did some testing.
    PowerTech TRO4 23P. - 5500 Rpms WOT 55.9 MPH.
    Laser II Small hub 22p - 6000 RPMs WOT 55.0 MPH
    Unknown Brand 21p 3 blade large hub - 6000 RPMs WOT 58.7 Mph.
    None of these props made an difference in the mid range porpoise. Well let me say that the 22p Laser seemed to have a little less bounce, but did not stop it.
    So what should I have learned from this experiment?

WriedtStuff
    I sent you an email at least a week ago???

Forkin....I never got an email from you...????

Forkin' Crazy
    Forkin....I never got an email from you...????
    paulsfcnla@yahoo.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345