Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cam hiting rod cap

boatslayer
    ight i have a 383 stroker , scat 9000 crank , stock rods , and a
    summit cam with 234/244 @.050 with 488/510 lift with a 114LSA,
    and my cam is hiting the rod caps , only 3 rods hit the intake lobe,,
    gots any suggestions

obnoxious001
    Is it the cap hitting, or the tops of the rod bolts? Many stock rods run with a 383 require that just a bit be sanded off, but the ones I have seen have been above the cap, obviously the inside towards the cam. My machine shop touched them all on a big belt sander (running same direction as the rod) at the same time they resized them, prior to balancing the engine.

mike37
    Is it the cap hitting, or the tops of the rod bolts? Many stock rods run with a 383 require that just a bit be sanded off, but the ones I have seen have been above the cap, obviously the inside towards the cam. My machine shop touched them all on a big belt sander (running same direction as the rod) at the same time they resized them, prior to balancing the engine.
    the lobe is hitting the side of the cap right on the edge

A small base circle cast core is available for an upcharge. If you don't do this, you will have to grind the rods.

wsuwrhr
    A small base circle cast core is available for an upcharge. If you don't do this, you will have to grind the rods.
    Yea what he said.
    Had to do this on two 383's
    Brian

boatslayer
    the thing that really sucks about this is that an engine builder said this set up would work and he ordered all the parts , and we have had every lil problem that a strker could have happen

Infomaniac
    the thing that really sucks about this is that an engine builder said this set up would work and he ordered all the parts , and we have had every lil problem that a strker could have happen
    LOL That setup will work. Just not flawlessly. This is typical of those combinations.

boatslayer
    um would retarding or adavncing the cam help

boatslayer
    or should i call up crane or comp and tell the that i need a small base circle cam with the same specs and the longer pushrods ?
    because everything is all balanced and i kinda need my car running by the end of next week and what do ya know the enging guys is going on vacation

or should i call up crane or comp and tell the that i need a small base circle cam with the same specs and the longer pushrods ?
    because everything is all balanced and i kinda need my car running by the end of next week and what do ya know the enging guys is going on vacation
    Even with a small base circle, 2 and 6 still may hit so you there is a chance you are going to have to grind even with cam change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast