Thread: Need a flex plate for a 401 amc with a

Blown 472
    turbo 400, anyone know where I can find a new one?

ck7684
    Do you know if 390's are the same?? My old neighbor and I were building a couple Javelins and he had a bunch of extra parts laying around. I can see what he has. I know both the Javelins he had were 390 cars tho...

wsuwrhr
    Reactorproducts (www.Reactorproducts.com)
    I use Olan's parts for the flexplate ring gear provision for the Mopars I put in boats.

UBFJ #454
    In my opinion Reactor Products Flex Plates should not be used in any application where their rear face runs unconfined as in a boat. The reason I say this is that when we first put Ms. MoneyPenny (our motor) together we ran one of Olan's flex plates ... soon we began to find these strange little allan head bolt heads in the bottom of the boat after runs. Fortunately Aaron figured out where they were coming from right before the starter ring came off the flex plate ... of the nine (9) allan heads that hold the steel ring on the Al Flex Plate, seven (7) had sheared off ... this was the first time. Had the ring come off when we were warming the motor someone could have been seriously hurt ... had it come off during a run, it could have ripped the bottom of the boat out.
    In total, we tried three (3) different different plates from Olan ... all with the same results ... the allan heads sheared off. Also I know of at least two other boats that have had the same problem.
    To Olan's credit, he worked with us and it didn't cost us other than down time and shipping, but, when we figured out why the bolts were shearing and offered a solution he declined to change his manufacturing process to cure the problem ... At that time, we changed to a one piece, zero balance Al Flywheel that only weighed 5 ounces more ... a much better setup for a boat.
    Reactor Products Flex Plates are an excellent product for use with a torque converted or clutch (even in a V-Drive), just not in a jet boat where the plate is unconfined ... when unconfined, the plate flexes too much, the allan heads pop off and catastropic failure can follow.
    Remember, not all good products (such as Reactor Products Flex Plates) can be used in every application .....

Blown 472
    This motta is going in a mud bogging rock climbing jeep thing.

UBFJ #454
    In that case you'd be better off with a flywheel rather than a flexplate.

Blown 472
    In that case you'd be better off with a flywheel rather than a flexplate.
    It has a turbo 400 behind it.