Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Same Boat? Or Same Painter?

FLYTE RISK
    Hmm. I talked to the guy at length and he said it was a tr4 with a tr2 deck (something about it being a one off deal). So I just took him at his word.
    Ran super. He tried a new prop when he was gonna run Whitie but the new prop hooked harder and he had to get out of it.
    The big guy with him was with the "Flatzilla" team for years. Very knowledgable alcohol guy.
    Rumor has it Whitie put the whoop ass on that boat. Makes for a long tow home!! Especially getting served by a senior citizen none the less!!!!

boat 569
    Wannabe, The engine in my avatar is actually an injected alcohol deal. No blower. I am in the process of putting an injector on the carbed engine now. I know how to tune injected engines more than carbs. I hope to have it ready for Oklahoma. I'll miss the scoop though. I thought the boat looked better with it.

HITECH-MARINE
    OK Guys...let's put an end to all the guessing! The boat in question is the TR4 "prototype" that I (Jim Lange) built when employed at Cole's. It was originally sold to Bob Brownell and was known as "Hi Anxiety" BGF. This boat along with it's sister boat where pulled out of a modified TR2 mold with inserts in the tunnel area to increase the tunnel depth by 1/4". The "sister" boat sat outside for 1 yr. before we turned it over and massaged the bottom for the plug. While sitting outside on tires (and full of water during the winter months), the boat finally made it's way into the glass shop and George Trevett the glass shop manager at the time, proceeded to blueprint the bottom and prepare the plug for a mold. George also is responsible for the raised deck on the TR4. Only problem was the bottom on the original boat (Bob Brownell's) was designed and blueprinted by myself and ended up being very different than the one George did. We determined later after Rick Jackson's PGF and Ernie Jenuwine's BGF where built, that the rocker in the 2 boats where vastly different. We came to the conclusion that the rocker had changed when the boat sat outside on tires for all that time instead of being properly supported. Anyway...Bob Brownell's boat went on to win many races and was always feared by other competitors. It was then sold to Larry Saugsted who was VERY close friends with Mike Bell. Larry used it as a river racer and had it painted by Baca as you see it now. For a short time when Mike Bell was racing BGF he borrowed the boat from Saugstead and that's how it came to have the #660 on it. Mike set a couple record's with it at that point and I believe that record is still held today. The boat was then sold to Fred "the Head". Fred river races it and goes to many V- Drive regatta's and events with it. This boat is one of a kind, as is Don Bausher's TAF. Don's boat is a Canyon with the inserts put in the mold the same way I did at Cole's. Bausher's boat is one of the quickest TAF in the class and now that I am crew chief on the engine as well we expect big things in the future! For those of you that know me...I can't leave "well enough" alone. Jim Lange

Bite the Bullet
    OK Guys...let's put an end to all the guessing! The boat in question is the TR4 "prototype" that I (Jim Lange) built when employed at Cole's. It was originally sold to Bob Brownell and was known as "Hi Anxiety" BGF. This boat along with it's sister boat where pulled out of a modified TR2 mold with inserts in the tunnel area to increase the tunnel depth by 1/4". The "sister" boat sat outside for 1 yr. before we turned it over and massaged the bottom for the plug. While sitting outside on tires (and full of water during the winter months), the boat finally made it's way into the glass shop and George Trevett the glass shop manager at the time, proceeded to blueprint the bottom and prepare the plug for a mold. George also is responsible for the raised deck on the TR4. Only problem was the bottom on the original boat (Bob Brownell's) was designed and blueprinted by myself and ended up being very different than the one George did. We determined later after Rick Jackson's PGF and Ernie Jenuwine's BGF where built, that the rocker in the 2 boats where vastly different. We came to the conclusion that the rocker had changed when the boat sat outside on tires for all that time instead of being properly supported. Anyway...Bob Brownell's boat went on to win many races and was always feared by other competitors. It was then sold to Larry Saugsted who was VERY close friends with Mike Bell. Larry used it as a river racer and had it painted by Baca as you see it now. For a short time when Mike Bell was racing BGF he borrowed the boat from Saugstead and that's how it came to have the #660 on it. Mike set a couple record's with it at that point and I believe that record is still held today. The boat was then sold to Fred "the Head". Fred river races it and goes to many V- Drive regatta's and events with it. This boat is one of a kind, as is Don Bausher's TAF. Don's boat is a Canyon with the inserts put in the mold the same way I did at Cole's. Bausher's boat is one of the quickest TAF in the class and now that I am crew chief on the engine as well we expect big things in the future! For those of you that know me...I can't leave "well enough" alone. Jim Lange
    Jim, thanks for the great post. Hopefully, you will browse back a couple of weeks here in V-Drives and respond to some posts regarding the differences between the Cole TR 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 flats.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123