Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I just snooze on a deal?

MoJetBoPar
    I was watching a deal on Ebay for a "Velvet Drive" transmission. It had a 1.911:1 ratio and I'm pretty sure it was out of a large cruiser type boat.
    Was that ratio a good one for a 18' v-drive hot boat?
    It sold for $264.00 with a non-Chevy/Ford engine.
    I'm leery of collecting a bunch of mismatched parts when I'll probably keep looking or a comlete boat to re-do.

Infomaniac
    MoJetBoPar: Here is my input and someone correct me if I am wrong (I am sure someone will regardless).
    As far as I know a velvet drive is for outdrives that do not shift (are locked in gear). It allows the boat to have neutral and maybe reverse?
    You would need one with an Arneson drive, Merc speedmaster or TRS drive. I think they require quite a bit of HP to operate also.
    I do not think a v-drive is the correct application. That one sounds like it was a good deal though.

spectras only
    MoJetBoPar, I 've got a C-72 Velvet drive in my spectra V-drive BBC[1:1 ratio,forward ,neutral,reverse] 1972 vintage.These tranny's are reliable,and for $264 it was a good deal.BTW,the ratio you mentioned was good for a heavy boat[daycruiser]
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited November 12, 2001).]

MoJetBoPar
    Thanks Guys,
    Yeah, That probably isn't exactly what I'll need. I'm looking to build or buy a 17'-19' v-drive ***boat that would eventually go over 70+ mph. That trans sounded like it for a bigger/heavier hull. I coulda probably sold the motor for what the whole deal cost.

superdave013
    My flatbottm had a Lenco clutch in it. Worked great for a netural but had no reverse. It's not that big of a deal in a flatbottom. My 20' v-bottom has a turbo-400 in it. The frist gear is locked out and the valve body is reversed so when you shif into high gear you don't go past it and hit netural or reverse. I is heave but I do have two forward speeds, netural and reverse. It even has park!

spectras only
    superdave ,my friend's 21 Howard had the same setup as yours with the 400.Worked fine

MoJetBoPar
    SuperDave is that a "reverse manual valvebody"?
    Here's a crazy idea. Since I'd like to run a Mopar wedge (A Hemi is just a dream currently), would a 727 auto from a RV (short non-slip type tailshaft) and a rev. man. valvebody be the ticket? I know this will get spanked by the Chevy's and probably Fords too, but I'm into a nostalgia thing and want something different.
    I've got several big block wedge motors and will start looking for that RV trans rather than whatever else if this makes sense.

superdave013
    "reverse manual valvebody" is probbley the correct term for it.
    I don't know why you think your wedge would get spanked. I would think you could build a pretty hot one.

There are some strong running wedge Mopars out there and are not real commom in boats, go for it.

spectras only
    MoJetBoPar, I had a Challenger 340 with a 727.Tranny lasted a tick over a year only!I've descarded the tranny and converted to a 833 manual box.Lasted for ever! With a BB i would worry to use the 727.Just my 0.02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast