Thread: Electric vs Hydraulic Place Diverter

P-Money
    Pros and Cons of both?
    Whose got the best deal?
    Have a manual diverter right now and getting sick of having to get gas of the gas for a quick second to adjust the damn thing.
    Thanks

For electric trim:
    Pro's
    easy to use, finger tip control
    lightning fast trimming
    Con's
    You have no idea where your trim is set with out taking a peak
    need space inside the boat for trim pump

ck7684
    My electric trim has a gauge, but it's not lightning fast. I like it, but I've never used anything else. I think manual is fastest...?

e514jet
    P-money,
    I have the hydraulic with the steering wheel mounted buttons.
    I like it alot. I don't have the trim gage so I just look back to see where
    the rooster is.
    electric/hydraulic-
    pros- trims up or down with the touch of a button. fast movement.
    cons- if it ever fails your typically stuck in that position. Without a gage you
    don't know what angle you are at.
    Manual-
    pros- adjustable in set incriments. you could mark the tab with your best top end and set it there each time. you probably don't have to worry about it breaking.
    cons- probably the only one is having to look at it or reach around for the handle when trying to adjust it.

My electric trim has a gauge, but it's not lightning fast. I like it, but I've never used anything else. I think manual is fastest...?
    Try using a power relay like the Banderlog Diverter Relay or an equivalent. The power relay puts a full 12 volts at the pump, vs 12 volts thru 20 plus feet of wiring, with maybe 9 volts at the pump. A power relay can make the trim almost to fast for fine tuning, if racing a stop is most definitely needed.

Danhercules
    I have had both.
    I had Hyd in my Southwind. Loved it. Quick and easy. Had to look back to get it just right.
    My TPR has elc. The trip gauge in nice. But its sooooooo slow!!!!!! The diverter is slow, not my boat!! LOL

MADDOG355
    I assume you are wanting to compare the hydraulic to the old berkeley electric with the cable?
    The berk unit is SLOW and the box is quite big, I also understand some of the parts are getting hard to find but last time I checked CP performance claimed to have all the parts but did not sell the complete unit.
    The hyd unit is faster and the pump does not take up half the room the berk unit does. The down side is on some of the older place diverters the hyd cyl will inrerfere with the rev cable, ( John Place said he didn't know anyone still had the one I have).

Taylorman
    I have an AMT hyd. diverter, love it. The only downside is i have to look back to see where its at. Ive started tapping the button up a certain number of times after i get it on plain to set it like i want it.