Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revised 460 Build...Advice welcome!!

hotbo
    how much nos did you run? what kind of timing did you run?
    i have run 150 on mine.going to run 200.if you call kb tech dept.they can give you all the specs and info you need.they have hyp.pistons running up to 500 shots on them.its all in the builder engine managment controls timing retard and so forth.
    they told me to run 2 degress less than a forged piston.so my bbc is totaled at 34. and my digital 6box with a single step retard is got -4 in it so im 30 when i mash the button and my plugs are pretty and no problems.
    the biggest killer of these pistons is not nos its the fools building the mills.RING END GAP IS THE MAJOR CUASE OF ALL FAILURES:idea: do as kb states and you will be good to go.guarantee
    i have a 406 with them in there running 250 shot in a truck with 28 degress total on the bottle no problems.3 years now.
    468 9.1 motor 4 years 150.going to 200.30 total no problems
    468 11.1 32 total timing no problems 2 years.
    ring gap and timing are the major down fall of hyp pistons.do not be afraid of these pistons if you take the time to research what you are doing.do not put nos on pistons that ring gap is not filed for it will generally pull the top ring land off seen this happen several times.
    :jawdrop:

hotbo
    Why would you chance your engine to "luck" for a savings of $74.91, the cost of forged over cast? [May-June 2007 Summit catalog] If you have ever seen the destruction a hyper piston can do when it reaches it's threshold you would think twice about using them. JMO
    what you seen imo is idiots building mills and not taking the time or know how to deal with the hyp.:idea:
    im not going to argue that they are better than forged anyday cuase they are not.
    research what you are doing and are going to do with the hyp.and they will last along time.if you build a mill for naturall set ring end gaps up for that and later put nos and take no timing out bye bye little pistons.kaboom
    speed pro forged are cheap forged pistons they are not much more than the kb hyp.they are good forged pistons so for the difference you might as well buy the forged.but if you get a deal on some kb like i can you.then i buy the kbs and have had great luck with them for several years now.
    the pistons that the machine shops show you that are hyp and scattered ar e 9-10 times the fools fualt who run the mill and done things to it that they knew nothing about in the first place.

hotbo
    I pulled the trigger on some parts finally.
    From the comp cam grid above I went with the 34-331-4 w/ the suggested lifters & springs.
    Weiand Stealth DP intake
    750 Edelbrock
    Went with the standard sized Hyper pistons so compression should be 9.25:1 as per LO's post "Yes I have the cast dish pistons and its a late 77' block". I know forged is a great way to go but some guys here are having good luck with the Hypers so....
    The block never even needed punched and the crank never needed to be turned so its still at stock bore w/only .001 on the crank after being polished. The stock gear was all in good shape and I could have just replaced bearings and ran it for a few seasons. Regardless its gonna be nice to start off fresh and know what I got with some kind of exactness.
    Still got alot of money to spend.
    Next is a Place diverter and this winter the Pump is gonna get worked over.
    Thanks again for all the information fellas!!
    Brad
    i like your cam and intake choice but hate the edelbrock carbs wisht you the best and it will run good and strong for you.later trav.

Why would you chance your engine to "luck" for a savings of $74.91,
    the cost of forged over cast?
    im not going to argue that they are better than forged anyday cuase they are not.
    for the difference you might as well buy the forged.
    Amen
    Running Speedpro Forged dished pistons in my 460. 9.5:1 compression with Edelbrock Performer
    RPM heads 75cc chambers and a 150 shot of nitrous. I've got six years of hard (very hard) running
    on them and still going strong. Too many bottles through it to count.
    I agree with the ring end gap for nitrous by the way. Also..........If you're gonna run the juice, I'd suggest
    buying the best rings you can find. Mine are Total Seal and cost as much as the pistons did.
    Whoops..........also agree about the carb deal. The Holleys are a cinch to work on. Not sure about
    the Edelbrocks as I've never had one apart before.

OverKill
    Well to be honest with you. You should get rid of the FORD and get a Chevy. Reason Being the Ford weighs to much and forces the back end down forcing you to hit ROCK BARS. Just asK Squirtcha?

dmontzsta
    Well to be honest with you. You should get rid of the FORD and get a Chevy. Reason Being the Ford weighs to much and forces the back end down forcing you to hit ROCK BARS. Just asK Squirtcha?
    Doesnt the BBF weigh around 30lbs less than a BBC? I know I read that somewhere.
    While the motor is apart, I would put forged in there, the price is nothing compared to piece of mind.

cudaz101
    I will never be running NOS...They Hyp. pistons should be just fine with my application and needs. Shit...The stocker cast pistons that came in it in 77 still look fine...heh
    Went with the Edelbrock because I have used both and prefer the plug and play of the Edelbrock unit. I do have an 800cfm Holley to try on if I want to though. Will see
    Thanks again..
    Brad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123