Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any whippled 496ho gurus here?

VegasHallett
    I'm getting one of the big ones from teague custom marine for a motor rated over 700 hp (4" by 22"). You won't need to go that big but any other heat exchanger from these vendors will be good.
    http://teaguecustommarine.com/2002/c...interface.html
    http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=2312
    http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2311
    The big ones will have to be installed near a stringer to have enough room. It's kind of a tight fit on the motor.
    The price range is anywhere from $250 to $500 depending on size. Try www.offshoreonly.com they have a lot of good info.
    update:
    spoke with installer and i told him about the larger heat exchanger.
    he said that i could get it but that i dont really need it.. he did say that i needed a sea strainer ...
    id feel better having it just in case.. do you guys know how much it cost for one? i could find any prices on the web..
    im getting the blower powder coated red so it looks like it should be all done by early next week..
    thanks for the advise

scarabrick2
    update:
    spoke with installer and i told him about the larger heat exchanger.
    he said that i could get it but that i dont really need it.. he did say that i needed a sea strainer ...
    id feel better having it just in case.. do you guys know how much it cost for one? i could find any prices on the web..
    im getting the blower powder coated red so it looks like it should be all done by early next week..
    thanks for the advise
    Do yourself a favor and BUY a Sea strainer and a Larger oil cooler. Get them both mounted and have fun. Later, you will upgrade(we all do) and you will be covered for any hp you throw at it. Vegashallett has a sea strainer ,getting a larger oil cooler(rated to 950 hp) PLUS he also has DUAL RAM HYD steering. All of this is a must!!!! You want your motor to run for a few hd hours and feel safe when running at the speeds. You should try a 5 blade prop after you run your 4 blade. Vegas hallett picked up 5 mph and a lower cruise rpm with the 5 blade.
    **********Vegashallett has a 5 blade (labbed by Mercury racing) 26" prop for sale. **********
    You have to go down 2 inches in pitch when going from a 4 to a 5 blade.
    Be safe and enjoy

blender over
    My boat is a little different than yours but i had a procharger installed with 3 1/2 psi on my 496 ho, i went from a 26 pitch bravo 4 blade to a 28 pitch and picked up 10mph on a 2002 257 carrera.
    I believe i need a bigger heat exchanger because it will get hotter than 180 over and extended period of time.
    Best bang for the buck, just dont hold it W/O too long

scarabrick2
    My boat is a little different than yours but i had a procharger installed with 3 1/2 psi on my 496 ho, i went from a 26 pitch bravo 4 blade to a 28 pitch and picked up 10mph on a 2002 257 carrera.
    I believe i need a bigger heat exchanger because it will get hotter than 180 over and extended period of time.
    Best bang for the buck, just dont hold it W/O too long
    You got thta right? BANG !!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep it cool and the throttle closed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12