Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chine walking question

eliminated1
    I know every boat is different but i was told to put trim tabs on my boat strait across the hull but it didnt help at all . i was told buy others to put them at angles which is better i have a hallet 21ft ss and at 77 mph it starts dancing. HELP

Quest4Fun
    I know every boat is different but i was told to put trim tabs on my boat strait across the hull but it didnt help at all . i was told buy others to put them at angles which is better i have a hallet 21ft ss and at 77 mph it starts dancing. HELP
    Don't go over 76 mph

cc322
    Most tabs follow the contour of the V that is the angle about 12" away from the outdrive good info right here. What size tabs did you put on that 21?
    http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/stinstall.htm
    btw I just had tabs put on our Lavey and the boat fells much more hooked up if that makes any sense.

eliminated1
    12 inchers

eliminated1
    we tried putting a shorter lower unit im curious if i set the drive back with a stand off box if that will help

talkinghead
    I had a 27 ft. Sea Ray that chine walked - I concluded it's basically bad hull design, and that there's not much you can do about it.
    I always thought it happened primarily to narrow boats with a high center of gravity.

vmjtc3
    Don't go over 76 mph
    Better yet buy a skater

BajaMike
    Any small boat will chine walk as you get close to the max hull speed and you pull the drive up out of the water.....basically you don't have much hull in the water...just the drive is in the water...tabs won't help at all.
    A shorter lower unit will give you more speed but also more chine walk. Trim the drive down a little bit and slow down....you are at max safe speed for that hull......

ToMorrow44
    I have a similar problem with my boat. I've tried all kinds of different props and gear ratios and it still does it. Putting the tabs at level or just lower than level with the bottom of the boat will help settle it down a bit, but also scub off speed. Depending on your X dimension, adding the shower lower should give you better handling at higher speeds judging by my research. Overall, I agree that a lot has to do with the hull design and sometimes the boat just does not want to go that fast.
    -Tom

TCHB
    One of the biggest complaints of high performance boats - particularly V-bottoms - is that of the boat "chine walking". Chine walking occurs when the boat is running at high speed - usually at 65mph or higher - and because of the size of the boat trying to run on very little hull, it will fall off to one side, then flop back to the other, etc. etc. There are many myths to chine walking, i.e. "A four blade prop will cure your chine walk". Unfortunately, that is not true. True, a properly set up boat will be easier to drive and may chine walk less than a poorly set up hull, but chine walking occurs due to the laws of physics. The true way to reduce or eliminate chine walking? Learn to drive the boat.
    Many dealers will sell you a boat cheap, then hand over the keys and send you on your way. You should expect the dealer to show you how to drive and handle your high performance boat. A tip to help eliminate your chine walking is this: Always keep the boat guessing. By just holding the steering wheel, you're going to allow the boat to get into a rhythm which will lead to chine walking. Start out by "tapping" the steering wheel to the left - against the torque. Then as the boat begins to fall to the left, release the steering wheel from the torque and turn the wheel slightly to the right. As the boat begins to lean to the right, return the wheel to the left against the torque.
    Remember this - KEEP THE STEERING WHEEL MOVEMENTS SMALL.
    By oversteering, you could do more harm than good. Try to imagine standing on a 2X4 with a ball underneath it. As the board leans to the left, you have to shift your weight to the right in order to keep the board from hitting the floor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast