Thread: Pan Evac

minnesota_duane
    Is anyone running a pan evac system with logs?
    I would really like the negative presure
    The engine is a 429 Ford tunnel ram with a pair of 80508's (750 vac carbs) cam specs 228* 236* @ .050 545" lift, 10.5-1, heavily ported C8VE heads with CJ exhaust valves.
    I was thinking (sometimes dangerous) that I could cut the rubber exhaust hoses and put in a piece of 3 inch stainless tube with the evac tubes welded into them in each hose. Any thoughts on this? yes no maybe? If no please give a reason why you think it wont work.
    I have an engine cover and will NOT be running headers. I know that is the first thing most of you will tell me to do, but this is the family boat and the kids and I would like to keep our skin.

pw_Tony
    Get water Jacket Headers

RCB19
    I don't think that would be a very good idea.

bajarunner
    Is anyone running a pan evac system with logs?
    I would really like the negative presure
    The engine is a 429 Ford tunnel ram with a pair of 80508's (750 vac carbs) cam specs 228* 236* @ .050 545" lift, 10.5-1, heavily ported C8VE heads with CJ exhaust valves.
    I was thinking (sometimes dangerous) that I could cut the rubber exhaust hoses and put in a piece of 3 inch stainless tube with the evac tubes welded into them in each hose. Any thoughts on this? yes no maybe? If no please give a reason why you think it wont work.
    I have an engine cover and will NOT be running headers. I know that is the first thing most of you will tell me to do, but this is the family boat and the kids and I would like to keep our skin.
    How about investing in some water jacketed headers, or a performance marine exhaust system thats also jacketed. No burnt skin there.

minnesota_duane
    Water jacketed headers wouldn't be worth it. This thing is like a station wagon. I paid $1453.00 for this thing I am not spending $2500-$3000 on a set of headers.
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/MVC-013S.jpg

minnesota_duane
    I don't think that would be a very good idea.
    Why?

Water jacketed headers wouldn't be worth it. This thing is like a station wagon. I paid $1453.00 for this thing I am not spending $2500-$3000 on a set of headers.
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/MVC-013S.jpg
    Holy crap! You got a nice deal there. That thing looks real clean in the picture.

RCB19
    Why?
    There is a lot of water running through log systems. If one of those one way gulp valves lets go which is common over time water will be forced up the hose and into the motor. Secondly most log systems exit very close or below the water line. Take a good wave to the transom and you risk pushing water up the hose and into the valve cover. The weld in pan-evac tubes were designed to be placed at a specific point/angle in a header collector in order to work properly. I can't see where these could be placed in a marine wet log manifold in order to be effective anyways.

Sleeper CP
    Ditto to RCB19:
    You would have very little benefit from it any way if at all. With the log system you probably aren't turning very many R's anyway. And the system works off of vacuum I wounder how much back pressure the logs create?
    You might want to put dual breathers on your valve covers if you what it free up some crankcase pressure.
    I wonder if any one else has tried it on the dyno, and what they found out? I did it,but I can't compare those numbers to your 429 particularly with the logs.
    Sleeper CP

minnesota_duane
    QUOTE=Squirtcha?;2636281]Holy crap! You got a nice deal there. That thing looks real clean in the picture.[/QUOTE]
    The picture made it look better than it really was. The interior was starting to crack down the seams, the floor was shot, the engine was tired. I wet sanded and buffed the living hell out of it to get the shine back.
    I am having the interior done in bright white with no stripes, that way if I ever do paint the boat it will match have been thinking of painting it pearl white with pearl blue scallops flames or something.
    So far this spring I have replaced the floor got rid of the engine cover that it had and made one out of 1" square tube and plywood that opens to the rear with gas shocks. It has a hole in it for the tunnel ram and scoop. It will be padded and covered, and a lot easier to play with the engine. I put in a 600 watt amp will probably use some 12" subs and a set of 6x9s also, will have it running off of an Ipod. I bought an electric jetovator control and will be using that instead of the diverter handle. Installed an intake loader. Rewired everything back to the transom so far, will do the engine once it is in. Polished the mounts, still need to polish the logs. Different engine 429ci as stated above, thinking it should be around the 450hp mark, guess the tach will tell me once it's on the water. Last summer it did 65.7 on the GPS with just me in it and about out of gas. Hoping for more this summer, if it does it does if it doesn't. As long as it pulls the tube I will be happy, until I can finish the tunnel hull.