Thread: Starter getting stuck

455Rocket
    So I have a 1999 BassTracker 175 w/ a 40 HP Merc on the back... A little winter toy I don't talk about
    The engine has a max of 20 hours on it since new, but last Feb the starter got stuck in the flywheel when trying to start. Made a groaning noise and didn't seem to engage correctly, nor seem like it was getting power. Fresh battery didn't help etc. etc... New starter went in last week and still the same problem w/ a fresh charged batt.
    WTF?
    Relay? Ign Switch?
    I've never messed with anything but jets, and never had a prob with this boat... so you'll have to excuse the simpliclity.

Propster
    Sounds like the bendix is sticking. The shop recommended lubricating the starter bendix with a light oil such as WD-40. Mine was sticking down (not engaging) and WD-40 freed it right up.

76miller
    What kind of condition is the flywheel in ? You could also put a multimeter on the switch to check for 12v, then to the starter to make sure your not having a voltage drop between the two. You might need to run a remote solinoid for some added juice if your starter is not the problem. I just had the same problem, hope this helps. 76miller.

Towndrunk
    Try jumping thesoleniodlike you do on a car. If it work then replace solenoid.