Thread: Optimax vs. Promax

tamalewagon
    What're the big differences besides emissions? Weight, noise etc. Need some input here. Thinking of trading in my 225 Optimax for the Promax.

tamalewagon
    Anyone have any input? You can see below in my sig line how far down the transom sags with the extra weight. Just not sure if it's worth trading for the Promax.
    Again...any advice?

stoker2001
    Lots of Pros and cons with these motors.The 225 promax will be better in the handling and top speed dept with the lighter wieght and rpm potential,especially on your little boat.The direct injection (OPTI) will be way better on fuel and oil cosumption 45% better at cruise rpms.The Opti will be slightly more user friendly idleing and starting and probably is better in the longevity dept.The 3.0 opti will have slightly more grunt for pulling skiers and such. just my $.02

tamalewagon
    Lots of Pros and cons with these motors.The 225 promax will be better in the handling and top speed dept with the lighter wieght and rpm potential,especially on your little boat.The direct injection (OPTI) will be way better on fuel and oil cosumption 45% better at cruise rpms.The Opti will be slightly more user friendly idleing and starting and probably is better in the longevity dept.The 3.0 opti will have slightly more grunt for pulling skiers and such. just my $.02
    Many thanks for your input Stoker! I appreciate it. My only gripe is the Opti is extremely heavy and makes the transom sag. Other than that, it's a great engine.

stoker2001
    Do you have a Hydralic jackplate or just a setback bracket?i would suggest a real short bracket/jackplate with the heavy OPTI

tamalewagon
    Do you have a Hydralic jackplate or just a setback bracket?i would suggest a real short bracket/jackplate with the heavy OPTI
    I do...the engine is setback about 8 inches in addition to the 4 inches on the jackplate.

stoker2001
    That's A LOT of set-back for that big engine on that tiny boat. I would suggest you suck that sucker in as tight as you can. It will move the center of gravity further forward on the boat and should help to bring the nose down and transom up. I just did that to mine and it rides 400% better.DITTO

tamalewagon
    That's A LOT of set-back for that big engine on that tiny boat. I would suggest you suck that sucker in as tight as you can. It will move the center of gravity further forward on the boat and should help to bring the nose down and transom up. I just did that to mine and it rides 400% better.
    Sounds good to me...at this point i'll try anything. Thanks in advance.

sdpm
    Saw you on the 8 just past 2nd st last week either fri or sat morning with boat in tow behind the motorhome. You were stuck behind all the traffic due to the big rig and chase cars.

tamalewagon
    Saw you on the 8 just past 2nd st last week either fri or sat morning with boat in tow behind the motorhome. You were stuck behind all the traffic due to the big rig and chase cars.
    LOL...at least this time I didn't get stuck in rush hour coming home. Shoulda thrown up the shocker Neil!