Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOS plate system ?????

76miller
    Hey, anyone out there running a 150 hp shot with only one fuel pump for everything ? I was thinking of putting a low pressure shut off switch , set at 5lbs. for turning off the NOS if for some reason my pump can't keep up. I always keep a constant 7lbs now so I figured 150hp shot is not that big....but I don't know for sure. Anybody out there run it this way? Whats your way ? Thanks

Youngblood
    As long as your pump is up to the job it can be set up that way no problem. You would have your single pump feed your regulator for the carb which is set at 7psi and a separate regulator for the plate kit set for whatever psi the kit manufacturer suggests, probably 10 psi. If you only have a two port outlet reg. then you'll need a y block on your feed line in order to feed both regs. If you have a 3 or more port outlet reg you can feed the nitrous reg from one of those. A hobbs switch on the fp is always a good idea.

76miller
    Youngblood- thats what I figured with the fuel pump, I just wanted to hear it from somebody that is already squeezing. How about a seperate 1 gallon fuel cell with some race gas, just for when your on the button ? I was thinking about it, not sure if thats over kill on a little 150hp shot though, just for a little insurance. Whats your opinion ? -76miller

DMOORE
    With a 150 shot you should be OK with good gas. Just start out a little rich and check the plugs after some short blasts.
    Darrell.

76miller
    Dmoore- What do you consider good ? 91 octane, 91/100 mixed, 100 octane? I'd way rather run off my own tanks, less $$ and hassle of mounting(not much room) Thanks-76miller

pw_Tony
    76miller, check your pms

76miller
    pw- Got it, check your pms-76miller

Youngblood
    93 octane and a 150 shot, you'll be fine. maybe pull 2-4* of timing and then slowly put some back in depending on your comfort level. I would step down one heat range from your current spark plug and tighten the gap.
    If you're going to do the one gallon cell, might as well go with it's own fuel pump/reg and spray the house down. :devil:

76miller
    Youngblood- thanks for the info. I will probably go 50/50 and get one of those msd timing retard boxes. I got the plugs and I was gonna gap them at 0.32. Cool, this is gonna be easier than I thought. -76miller

adjones419
    We only run one fuel pump on our 1/4 mile Nitrous engines, but they are Barry Grant 400 pumps. The P/E hydro has a plate system and my flatbottom has port injection in the tunnel ram.
    We actually had this discussion at our last race...some jetboat guy was telling us we need 2 fuel pumps or we were going to blow it up. Said he'd meet me at the ramp to pick up the pieces. Needless to say, everything was fine...and that's on 175hp shots with 114 racing gas.
    My dad's jetboat has a stock 460 Ford with a little 100hp shot and a single Holley blue pump. Just remember to back the timing down a few degrees. NOS says 2 degrees for every 50hp, but I figure that's pretty conservative. I was running 35 in my Hondo with a 477, backed it down to 30 with the 175hp shot and everything is fine.
    Best of luck, but the bottles can be addicting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast