Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrust Bearing spinning on shaft....

TIGGER
    I have been working on my Berkeley rebuild for the past month. I pressed off the bearing and sleeve but the new ones slid on kind of easy. The bearing spun as it should but now that it is in the suction housing with grease the shaft spins inside the bearing and the bearing stays still? I assume this is not good. What should I do? I was thinking of taking it all apart again and chewing up the shaft where the bearing goes so it will stay. The only problem is I am not sure how to do it :idea: . Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

sanger rat
    You can take a center punch and dimple the shaft.

TIGGER
    Thanks, I will give it a try.

Moneypitt
    Thanks, I will give it a try.
    I think the shaft is hard chromed, it'll take a pretty stout punch. I would do a little measuring first, like the shaft OD to the bearing ID......Is it possible the shaft is worn? Or the wrong bearing. If I recall, that is a press fit. DON'T dimple the shaft until you do a little homework..........MP

TIGGER
    I think the shaft is hard chromed, it'll take a pretty stout punch. I would do a little measuring first, like the shaft OD to the bearing ID......Is it possible the shaft is worn? Or the wrong bearing. If I recall, that is a press fit. DON'T dimple the shaft until you do a little homework..........MP
    I assume the shaft is worn? The bearing looks to be correct as it matches what is in all the pictures I have seen. My original bearing fell apart when I removed the shaft so I was not able to see it assembled. I can tell you that there is little or no play once the new bearing is installed. However it does not require a press to install. You can slide it on. I would think slight dimpling to the shaft would hold the bearing in place quite nicely.

Jetaholic
    I'm gonna go with Moneypitt on this. If I read your post correctly, it sounds to me like the shaft is spinning inside of the inner race.
    The outer race is held still by the suction housing, while the inner race is held still by the shaft. When you spin the shaft, the outer race will stand still while the inner race will spin with the shaft and the balls inside the bearing spin with the inner race within the outer race. This is the correct way that it should work.
    The first thing that should've been done would be to press the bearing onto the shaft, then you press the shaft and bearing into the suction housing.
    Did the bearing press onto the shaft easier than it should have?
    Is the shaft spinning inside of the inner race?
    The inner bearing race should fit tight onto the shaft, and the outer race should fit tight into the suction housing (both should be a press fit). If the new bearing presses too easily onto the old shaft, I would also say the shaft itself is worn and would need to be replaced.

The shaft is not hard chrome in that area, only on the tail end.

Pops@Aggressor
    ?Not Good-You are screwing with the HEART of the Pump. OOOOOH man I start thinking of what happens next & you don't want to know!

Jet Hydro
    If the old bearing had to be pressed off then I would say you might want to think about getting another new bearing and measuring."If the old one came off hard the new one should go on hard " I have seen some new bearings that didn't measuring right and there are some cheap copy's out there so make sure you get a good bearing.
    :idea: If something goes wrong with that bearing you will take out your pump and or your crankshaft in your motor so think real hard before you go and dimple the shaft up to get by.

earlbrown
    Do the bearing numbers match between the old bearing and the new one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast