Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Bow Tie Omega

Bow Tie Omega
    Well the project is finally started. I pulled the motor and jet out yesterday. I should actually say my dad, brother and I pulled this stuff out yesterday. The boat was to high for the Cherry Picker, so we took the boat to my dad's work and used a fork lift to pull the motor out. For the most part, things went smoothly. Removing the turning cable and the forward/reverse cable was a bitch. Finally just cut the forward/reverse cable with a hack saw. Those cost a pretty penny too. Well today, I will pull out the seats and floor to see what I am dealing with as far as the fiberglass and stringers are concerned. Will keep you all posted...Joe

beached1
    BTO, I just replaced my transom and floor on my Omega last winter. I also changed stringer config to full length from the orginal "goal post" setup. If you have any ?s feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    Also, you might as well plan on flipping the hull and taking any hook or rocker out after the work inside the boat is complete.
    After making all these changes, my Omega is a quick and smooth ride.
    Good Luck!

Omega21
    Glad to hear you got a decent ride out of yours. It gives me hope for mine :-) I get to rip mine allll apart this winter..
    Todd

Bow Tie Omega
    Well, the end of another day, Happy Veterans day to my Dad and all of the Vets out there. Took out the seats, the carpet, all of the wiring and cables. Also removed the fuel tanks and part of the floor today. The floor (3/4" ply) resembles an old sponge rather then a floor. The stringers look good so far once I got them exposed. They were fiberglassed over and painted black, which originally looked like rot with a motor and carpet in it. My stringers are two full length
    stringers with a joining crossmember just in front of the motor. The stringers are notched in front of the crossmember for the floor. I am using a rotozip to cut out the floor. While the top of the floor was fiberglassed, the bottom was not, nor was it sealed. This will be addressed with the new floor. After all of the old floor is removed, The remaining fiberglass will be prepped. The new floor will go in and the boat will recieve a couple of layers of new fiberglass inside. Then it will go to Havasu Barneys for a new Gel Coat. After that it will go for new upholstery. I will do the upgrades to the motor(454) also over the next few weeks. I will keep you all posted and send in some pics over the next few days. Thanks for the posts...Joe
    [ November 11, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Bow Tie Omega ]

Duane HTP
    Be careful there with your fiberglass coatings and extra gel coat. Sounds like you could be adding quite a bit of weight to your boat.

Bow Tie Omega
    Thanks Duane for the heads up. I appreciate any input from fellow boaters. I was concerned about the weight. But by my math, the water logged wood adds quite a bit of weight. I have actually cut back on the amount of wood needed with the new seating arrangement and sanding on the fiberglass already there will help too. I only have one gelcoat on it now which has been painted over. I am also lightening up on the engine a few pounds with the new aluminum intake and accesories. I know in the big scheme of things there will be some additional weight, but I feel that it will be minimized with the above steps taken.

Bow Tie Omega
    Holly Crap, it has been 4 years since I started this project. Way to long. Well, the boat is in the process of going back together this weekend and next minus upholstery. After being depressed about my $8000 plus Havsasu Barney gel coat cracking like a sun of a gun for the past 2 years, sitting indoors, I have stopped the cracks by drilling the ends, grinded them out and am in the process of repairing them. Besides for the cracks, the gel still looks brand new. I ordered alot of things from Rex marine, CP Performance and Eddie Marine over the past month. I have installed the new exhaust tips, the switch panel, guages, the steering and steering wheel, the jet pump, fuel fills, fuel vents and the blower vents. The fuel tanks have been painted and installed. The motor goes in on Monday. Pictures are coming later today. I am trying my hardest to have her on the water for Lake Pleasant on October 7th minus upholstery. If I pull it off, it will be going to upholstery before the end of October. I have built the Panther Diverter but have not installed it. There is still some finish work to be done to it. I will post some pics of it as well. It will be installed in the winter/spring. There is a list a mile long of ***boaters who through the years have advised, consoled and pretty much talked me through this stringer up restoration. I have learned so much from you guys. Hopefully, I will be able to advise some of the younger ***boaters like you all did with me. Thanks to V-Drive, Brendella Jet, Hack Job, Old Rigger, AZKC, Ducky, CAS and many many others who have chimed in, good and bad on the ole Bow Tie Omega. Sorry I have been gone for so long. That damned gel coat just sucked every bit of fun out of this project. I literally just covered her up and only looked at her periodically. But I once again have the bug worse then ever and nervously look forward to putting her in the water, praying that my gel coat does not end up like Hack Jobs did. Once again thanks to everyone who has helped me and argued with me. All of you have a little peice invested in this boat....Joe

v-drive
    You are not giving yourself enough credit Joe, yes you have had alot of good advice on how to do things but you made it happen. The picture doesn't do the boat justice. I'm going to tell sweetpea to check it out as soon as I here from her. Git er dun Son!
    pop (aka)v-drive

wrenchdaddy
    Lets see some of that Panther diverter, kinda curious to how you designed yours, you did a custom one right?

Bow Tie Omega
    Here is the paint shop version, kind of rudimentary but it nails the 2 D shape of the diverter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast