Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: His first car

My oldest son started taking driver's ed a few weeks ago, and will turn 16 in a couple months. It's hard to beleive he's gonna be driving soon, 'cuz it doesn't seem that long ago that I taught him to ride a bike. Anyway, I've told him all his life that we'd get him a car, but it'd be a pile and it would up to him to learn to repair, maintain, and upgrade it. Well I was cruising Ebay a couple days ago and found the perfect first car(?) for him. Not exactly a pile by my standards, but I'll teach him the basics as we make it reliable for him. It's a 1963 with a whopping 170 ci inline 6, 3 on the tree, and it only has 104,000 miles on it!
    http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van1.jpg
    It was a service vehicle for a John Deere dealer in Mesa and is painfully stock. Not even a radio in it. That's OK, it has absolutely NO RUST and is pretty damn straight for a 1963.
    Shelley wants to put carpet and pad down in the back in case we ride around with him I have a feeling it won't take long for him to put SOMETHING in the back of it. Probably should throw a case of Trojans in it when we give it to him....
    http://www.vintagerodcomponents.com/toy/van2.jpg

wsuwrhr
    You aren't serious....are you?
    Not even cool, I agree with degrading him with a Ford product, but how about a Mustang, or an old pickup?
    At least give your kid a fighting chance.
    He wouldn't get a snowball's chance in hell of getting laid in the back of that thing sitting in front of the Chickenranch with a fistful of hundies.(breathe)
    Come on Roost, are you getting that old?
    Either way, congratulations to your oldest making it to one of three milestones to becoming an adult.
    Brian

Yup, I'm serious! It'll be coming from Idaho in the next couple weeks. I've already told Dana no tinted windows, no V8 transplants, but we can put some bigs and littles on it and start thinking about paint.

wsuwrhr
    Yup, I'm serious! It'll be coming from Idaho in the next couple weeks. I've already told Dana no tinted windows, no V8 transplants, but we can put some bigs and littles on it and start thinking about paint.
    <shakes head>

wsuwrhr
    Lemme guess....he can't take the Deere stickers off it either?

RitcheyRch
    Very cool. Nice to see someones child going to be driving around in something other than being NEW.

Hey, he was talking about a Volkswagen and there's NO WAY IN HELL that was gonna happen! This was a preemptive strike against krautmobiles. You know there's nothing cooler than an old econoline with bigs and littles, a little rake, a cherry bomb and some shag or fur inside! Getting laid will not be a concern.... becoming a grandpa is a concern!

Big Kahunaa
    i need the front axle out of that for my gasser
    tell him i said congrats

BigDoug
    Mike, excellent choice for the youngster.........................i think it's way cool and so will his friends !! cause they will always want HIM to drive since he has the room...................i like it !!

AZJD
    You aren't serious....are you?
    Not even cool, I agree with degrading him with a Ford product, but how about a Mustang, or an old pickup?
    At least give your kid a fighting chance.
    He wouldn't get a snowball's chance in hell of getting laid in the back of that thing sitting in front of the Chickenranch with a fistful of hundies.(breathe)
    Come on Roost, are you getting that old?
    Either way, congratulations to your oldest making it to one of three milestones to becoming an adult.
    Brian
    LMAO

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast