Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no alt + msd box?

Wondering if any of you guys have ever ran the boat with out a alt when using a msd box. When i was a kid i don't think our altinator ever worked... We would just charge the battery at night. Back then though the boat didn't have a MSD box on it, it was just running a stock dist. Some of you guys I'm sure have had a bad alt out there or just choose to not run one.. Any issues draining to battery because of the msd box? my battery is a group 24, numbers on it are like 650 MCA (or something like that), 550 CCA, and 80 RC. It's a deep cycle marine battery too if it matters..
    Electrical Running... MSD 6AL box, Blaster2 Coil, MSD pro billet dist, Gauges + gauge lights and bilge pump when needed...

YeLLowBoaT
    msd boxs don't like voltage drops/ poor grounds.

oh btw, i plan on putting in a alt, but i want to run the boat this weekend and havnt had time to fab up a mount yet.

502 JET
    Used to run a drag car with MSD ignition and no alternator but we would throw a charger on it between rounds.
    It will be fine to run the boat but the ignition will run the battery down.
    How long you can run it for I'm not sure on that, but if the engine starts breaking up the battery is getting low.

rrrr
    My flattie has a MSD 6M and a pro billet and I don't have an alternator. The MSD box takes 7 amps to run the ignition. I can run all day with no problem. In 2004 when we drove out to CBBB, my wife and I drove from Topock marina to the sandbar and back with no issues.
    Assuming your MSD takes about the same amount of current as mine (which it should), your 80 Ah reserve capacity will run your boat for 6 hours without excessive voltage drop. The math is I (amps) X n = C (amp hours). The constant n is a factor of battery construction, and 1.15 is a good number to use.
    So 7 X 1.15 = 7.95 Ah. Your battery has an 80 Ah capacity. The industry standard battery voltage at the end of the reserve capacity is 10.5 volts, so figuring 6 hours of run time will keep the battery voltage above 11 volts and the MSD will be happy.
    The bilge pump and gauges aren't much of a load unless your boat leaks like a v-drive....

rrrr
    RRRRRR, your math is wrong.
    Rio
    It's happened before. Care to help out?
    I don't see anything incorrect......7.95 Ah X 6 hours = 47.4 Ah. That leaves right around 50% battery capacity, so there's enough for at least 10 starts there.

centerhill condor
    math notwithstanding, you'll be fine. The condor had a non working alt for a season didn't even notice until the diverter wouldn't work. The engine will act up when you get low power. enjoy!
    I have a big honkin' battery.

rrrr
    math notwithstanding, you'll be fine. The condor had a non working alt for a season didn't even notice until the diverter wouldn't work. The engine will act up when you get low power. enjoy!
    I have a big honkin' battery.
    You're right, why bring math into the discussion.....
    Like I said, we ran from Topock to Havasu and back. I also forgot we ran the boat for a couple of hours the day before.
    Having enough battery reserve for starting shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure Shaun's new bullet will fire right up at the turn of the key....http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

if you are only running for a test weekend you'll be fine, just remember that the msd loves voltage and the alt runs at 14+ volts so get the alternator in, you'll be much happier. We've ran the same alt for five raceing seasons with zero alt or battery issues and have NEVER once had to charge the battery.

lilrick
    So this one time I took the lil tub out for some testing.....Well, at the time I was currently running an HEI and alternator. I went for my first run and everything seemed fine. I was doin' the ol once-over at the dock and realized that I had forgotten to hook up the charge wire from the alternator to the battery.. I hooked it up and went back out for another pass and I picked up 2 MPH and the boat was much snappier!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast