Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: no alt + msd box?

man i love my mag- I have not had an alternaotor in two years
    this argument will never die. But you gotta love those mags, thats why the faa still requires 2 in every plane equipped with them

rrrr
    yep, saw this post coming. all the math experts ...oh my battery has 1000 amp hour so you can run a msd at 10 amps for a 100 hrs. that damn flame thower sucks juice and you have to feed it. Physics alone tells that there are no free lunchs. If you make that kind of spark you have to put the power in there first. Now go set up your alt and have a blast ALLDAY. P.S. you can count all the lead/acid type battery manuf. on one hand, so it just doesn't much matter where you bought it, the problem is with the msd's need for juice.
    Math or not, my boat hasn't had an alternator in its 40 year lifespan. I drive it all day and it runs fine.
    With an MSD.

pw_Tony
    well i ran it this weekend, i got about 3-4 runs a day... that box sure does suck some juice, either that or this battery i got at kragen is crap. After about the first 2 runs starting the boat got a bit more difficult. So ya, alt mount is next...
    That's what I thought would happen
    Same thing happened to me when I thought I didn't need a Alternator with two good batteries
    Then again I go pretty far up river

Well i figured the box would draw some current, just look at the gauge wire it runs and they recommended going a gauge lower if you planned on extending the wires any longer than the 3ft that was already there... I just figured i could probably get a day's use out of it though and just through it on the charger at night... The plan was to run a alternator, just didn't have time to fab up a mount for the weekend.

Well i figured the box would draw some current, just look at the gauge wire it runs and they recommended going a gauge lower if you planned on extending the wires any longer than the 3ft that was already there
    you show that you are smarter than I thought every time you post something, word of advice to keeping the battery and alt alive longer... run the alt as slow as you can. Small crank pulley, largest alt pulley, you just don't need that much amperage, 25-30 max. Its the voltage that the msd wants. and the alt will put out somewhere around 14.3 -14.5

you show that you are smarter than I thought every time you post something
    lol, was i coming off dumb there for a while? I know my spelling/grammar is terrible if that was it

NO! you have never come off has being dumb, should have said that I'am more impressed with each post, and your logic. Hope you get this thing done in time to have some fun with it this summer....good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123