Thread: Cone mufflers???

BrendellaJet
    Anyone run those cone shaped mufflers/baffles I've seen in the summit catalog? Im curious to see if they work at all? Actually I dont even care if they really work as long as they make me somewhat legal(running a muffling device as opposed to no muffling device.)
    Appreciate any input.

texas-19
    I bought the 4 1/2" ones,reason was i have 5" exhaust and that was the only thing i could find that would get close without fabbing something up.I installed them to keep the wardens happy.
    Don't really have any good data for you because it won't quit raining down here,when it does i plan on trying with and without.
    I had the engine running before i installed them and air filters,after installing them i had to take a small % out of the fuel table to get it close again.But that could of been the air filters.
    I can tell you it don't muffle it very much,(for whatever that's worth)still loud.
    Here is a pic after install.They are suppose to face the other way but the wardens would not be able to see them as well,the cone end is flush to the end of the pipe so they can see them easy.If you turn them around like i did you won't be able to get the nuts on.
    What i did was weld the 1/4" nuts on the outside of the tabs,if you do this you will need to order them a 1/2" smaller than your exhaust pipe.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...00/exhaust.jpg

BrendellaJet
    Looks like it will work for what I need them for! Thanks!

Skip3
    Texas-19, where are you in so Texas. I would think those turbo's would quiet it down quite a bit....

RCB19
    B-Jet I have a pair of these. They are made by a company called Dynatech. If you want use them let me know. If the cops see that you are making an attempt they will usually let you slide.

texas-19
    Texas-19, where are you in so Texas. I would think those turbo's would quiet it down quite a bit....
    Skip,i'm in bay city,The last turbos i had were smaller with 4" exhaust and they were fairly quiet.
    The turbos i have now are alot bigger and 5" exhaust,ideling ain't bad,but under load it is about the same as a n/a motor with baffles.
    I guess to some that may not be loud.
    Where you at?

BrendellaJet
    B-Jet I have a pair of these. They are made by a company called Dynatech. If you want use them let me know. If the cops see that you are making an attempt they will usually let you slide.
    Thanks Ross. Im going to talk to Dave and see what he thinks of these on my engine. He hated my choice in air cleaners so...Thanks for the offer. Do you want to sell them?

Skip3
    I'm in corpus and your right baffles don't quiet them much.....
    are you a member of THB ??

RCB19
    Thanks Ross. Im going to talk to Dave and see what he thinks of these on my engine. He hated my choice in air cleaners so...Thanks for the offer. Do you want to sell them?
    They didn't seem to dig into my power at all but that was on my old motor with a few less ponies than you have now. I didn't use then all the time just when I took the boat out where my chances were high on getting popped. Naw they are not for sale but if you want to try them out its totally cool. We live close.

BrendellaJet
    Okay, thanks for the offer. Motor is out of the boat right now so Im not in any real hurry. Might be switching hulls and going with something a little bigger so I will let you know if I want to take you up on that.