Thread: Ford Timing Chain Cover Question

Devilman
    I need to replace the timing chain cover on an '86 model 302. I have found a timing chain cover thats a killer deal, but its listed as fitting '87-'98 model 302s..... Thought they were all the same?
    Only thing I can think of that may be different between year models would be whether it was on a fuel injected motor or carbureted motor. Mine is fuel injected and has a block off plate over the hole, like on the 460 in my boat.
    Maybe the later ones were made without the hole for a fuel pump?
    Thanks for any help!
    Here are a couple of pics of the one I'm interested in, looks like the one off my '86, without the two big cracks in it, LOL....
    http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/a8/d4/7524_1.JPG
    http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/a8/d4/7abd_1.JPG

A universal that will fit all models is now available. They run about $89

Devilman
    A universal that will fit all models is now available. They run about $89
    What is the difference between the two? I don't understand where the differences between year models would be, as to why there would be a need for a "universal" timing chain cover..... Just tryin to understand, so I don't buy something I don't need.....

2dasand
    Yes, the later ones were cast without the fuel pump boss. I think they started that around '90. The '94+ covers are interchangeable, but do not accept the same water pump. That area is visably very different on those. The one in the pictures looks fine for you. Even the early EFI motor with the covers that did have the fuel pump boss were not cutout on the inside, so there was no need for a blockoff plate. And, as somebody stated, there are new replacement castings available now that will work on later EFI motors, or early 289/302's/ The only real difference being the fuel pump boss is coutout on those, and there is a hole for the dipstick tube. Hope that helps!

Devilman
    Yes, the later ones were cast without the fuel pump boss. I think they started that around '90. The '94+ covers are interchangeable, but do not accept the same water pump. That area is visably very different on those. The one in the pictures looks fine for you. Even the early EFI motor with the covers that did have the fuel pump boss were not cutout on the inside, so there was no need for a blockoff plate. And, as somebody stated, there are new replacement castings available now that will work on later EFI motors, or early 289/302's/ The only real difference being the fuel pump boss is coutout on those, and there is a hole for the dipstick tube. Hope that helps!
    Yes, thank you, that does help. Guy here at the the parts place did mention something about the later ones taking a different water pump, but looks like that is not going to apply in my situation. I'm gonna go ahead & grab that timing chain cover then, cause I'd helluva lot rather pay $20 bucks than $100.
    Thanks again for the information!

2dasand
    Glad to help!