Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump vs. Mechanical Fuel Pump

HaulinAss
    Having a fuel starvation issue and I felt it has to do with the fuel pump im running(electric holley blue) and was debating on going to a high volume mechanical pump.Ive heard ideas about one being better than the other and visa versa .Any feedback or ideas would be great.

Squirtin Thunder
    I like the Carter 172gph mech pumps no reg required. They use mech pumps in NASCAR also.

MikeF
    I would troubleshoot the whole system before throwing a bigger fuel pump at it. You might have a problem somewhere else. The holley blues have been powering fuel systems for a long time so that might not be your problem. Use your eyes and some common sense instead of some marketing guy saying.....This is the pump that you NEED! It'll cure all your ill's.
    He just wants to sell you something. :220v:
    Happy troubleshooting.

MikeF
    And for the record, My holley blue usually sticks every year and I take it apart at least once a year to get it unstuck. I then get to check it out for damage or any other problems. I've owned my boat since 92 and it is still the same pump as when I bought it. It is still making the boat go just fine.

HaulinAss
    I would troubleshoot the whole system before throwing a bigger fuel pump at it. You might have a problem somewhere else. The holley blues have been powering fuel systems for a long time so that might not be your problem. Use your eyes and some common sense instead of some marketing guy saying.....This is the pump that you NEED! It'll cure all your ill's.
    He just wants to sell you something. :220v:
    Happy troubleshooting.
    This isnt a marketing deal.Its a thought that I have as well as a lot of other boat guys I have talked to,where as others swear by the electric route.
    This thread is basically looking for actual experiance with an electric pump vs. mechanical pump pros and cons.I already have my idea of what im going to do,but Id like to hear some HANDS ON input.

Devilman
    Mine has a Holley blue pump on it. Only problem I had is the way the previous owner had it wired. He had it grounded with a little bitty wire to the back of one of the gauges. It would run for a bit & shut off without warning. Mounted a ground block under the dash & wired it to that, no problems since.
    As far as mechanical pumps, you might talk to Taylorman. If I'm not mistaken he has an Edelbrock mech. pump, seems to do the job just fine...

Taylorman
    I have a mechanical and it works fine. I like mechanical cause its simpler than electrical, no wires required and less to worry about. They dont quit like an electric can.

Beautiful Noise
    I have the same Holley Blue Electric pump on my boat since 1976.The 1st owner use to run a pair of Dominators carbs,I run 2-660's with a regulator and I've never had a problem.I have used the re-build kits acouple of times over the years is all just for safe measure and I keep a extra kit with me.I also have a Clay Smith Mech pump new that I keep tossing the idea around about installing but the Electric has been so faithfull.

flat broke
    Electric - fills float bowls without having to crank motor (good), can be mounted anywhere within reason (good), no drag on the motor so probably worth some fraction of an HP (good I guess), Can heat up and fail when eposed to a low flow situation, such as idling for long periods of time (bad), are dependent upon your electrical system and sussceptible to all related pitfalls (bad), sometimes harder to find replacement parts for in a pinch if (bad), will continue to pump fuel so long as it has voltage, regardless of whether or not the engine is running (Bad)
    Mechanical - mounts directly to the block so no need to make a bracket (good), is powered off the motor so no need for additional electrical (good), pull fuel better through separators and filters once primed (good), easier to find a replacement in a pinch (good), Don't care how long you idle them for (good), can flow more than enough fuel to support big HP (good), stops pumping fuel when the engine dies (good), you'll need to manually fill your float bowls if you let the boat sit or change jets (bad), Can be harder to get to to replace if need be (bad).
    For what its worth, I run a Clay Smith mechanical on my boat with a regulator and it has worked flawlessly. I had a Holley on an old Eliminator bubble deck and it was nothing but problems. Now had I taken the time to go through the entire fuel system, possibly install a bypass, etc. I'm sure the Holley would have worked fine.
    Mike F's post is dead on. See what problems you have first; then decide which type of pump to run based upon their inheirent strengths and weaknesses, not because your current fuel system setup may have some issues.
    Hope that helps,
    Chris

Aluminum Squirt
    I agree with diagnosing any problems you may have first, but for what its worth, I run a mechanical (don't even know the brand) and I beat the crap out of my boat. Never had a problem. I don't have a reason to go electric and probably never will-Aluminum Squirt

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast