Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump vs. Mechanical Fuel Pump

Heatseeker
    I went with a mechanical Clay Smith as well. I chose it mostly because of the reliability issues. Also, I was having a hard time finding an electric suitable for my application. Most of your large BG electrics aren't rated for continuous duty. The one BG recommends for boats is their Sumo=$450. The mechanical mounts up alot cleaner too. And it was only $100!

IMPATIENT 1
    Having a fuel starvation issue and I felt it has to do with the fuel pump im running(electric holley blue) and was debating on going to a high volume mechanical pump.Ive heard ideas about one being better than the other and visa versa .Any feedback or ideas would be great.
    HOLLEY BLUE PUMPS WILL OVERHEAT AND BOIL FUEL IN THE PUMP,SOMETIMES GETTING SO HOT THAT THEY SHUT OFF.THIS IS BECAUSE MOST NOVICE JET OWNERS DON'T RUN A BYPASS REGULATOR.ANY ELECTRIC PUMP THAT HAS OVER 10PSI OF PRESSURE WILL OVERHEAT IF YOU DEAD HEAD ONE WITHOUT SOME TYPE OF RETURN SYSTEM.
    I'D CHECK THE WIRING,REBUILD PUMP AND INSTALL A BYPASS TYPE REGULATOR.
    I'VE RUN HOLLEY BLUE'S IN EVERY HOTROD I'VE DONE.NEVER HAD ANY PROBS OR NEED FOR REBUILD,BUT I'VE ALSO USED BYPASS TYPE REGULATORS ON THEM ALL.JUST MY .02.

maxwedge
    I have the same Holley Blue Electric pump on my boat since 1976..
    This has to be some kind of record for a Holley pump. I had a car that went through three of them in 2 years! 1976 is probably considered a rare collectible on ebay by now. Maybe you can sell it and buy ten new ones.

superdave013
    Electric - fills float bowls without having to crank motor (good),
    Or in the case of the bus if you have a stuck float it will fill up the entire engine. lol
    I like pumps that don't run unless the engine is running myself.

LynnsJet
    Check out your Fuel pressure regulator. The pump could be fine but the fuel could be holding up the fuel.
    Braided and rubber lines have been known to deterioriate from the insde and restrict fuel flow.
    Good Luck. I am sure you will find your problem with all this help.
    L J

Beautiful Noise
    Maybe you can sell it and buy ten new ones.
    No thanks, I'll keep my old one since the new ones are so expensive

QuickJet
    Change your 5/16 tank outlets like I've been telling you. You wouldn't run 5/16 outlets on your race car would you? Same applys here. Keep it simple. Manuel pumps fail just like any other part. No part is fail proof. Your pump is brand new (I still have the receipt) so whatever problem you think you might be having is not due to the pumps performance.
    Yah friggin tard!!!

455Rocket
    the fuel pump im running(electric holley blue)
    That's your problem
    I've never heard anything good about Holley FP's...

Wicked Performance Boats
    Just one question. Why would you want anything electrical on a boat[around water and fiberglass is a bad ground] ? Mechanical pumps are cleaner installation and you don't get gas to carbs after sittting till it pumps up, which gives oil pump time to build pressure. Budlight my 02 cents

xs ultra
    The electric fuel pump should be mounted as low as possible .I had problems with a carter then bought a holley same thing, pressure would go up and down.Mounted the pump as low as i could even with the bottom of the tank.
    per instruction from holley and that fix the problem. The pump was mounted about even with the top of the tank before.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast