Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump vs. Mechanical Fuel Pump

1968Droptop
    Don't these pumps technically have to be marine rated ? Sorry if it's dumb question, but I heard you can be fined for ever NON marine approved part on your boat. I'm hoping I don't find out, but something I'd heard.

airboater67
    Been running a blue on my airboat since 93, never, ever had a problem, and don't run a bypass. It has never gotten hot or stopped. Granted i only have to turn 2700rpm max. But that should even be harder on the pump. Running a 470ci continental aircraft. She will do 55mph at 2700rpm......and sometimes it touches the water............

QuickJet
    Or in the case of the bus if you have a stuck float it will fill up the entire engine. lol
    I like pumps that don't run unless the engine is running myself.
    I would never install an electric fuel pump without a fused toggle switch. Problem solved.

wsuwrhr
    Or in the case of the bus if you have a stuck float it will fill up the entire engine. lol
    I like pumps that don't run unless the engine is running myself.
    SD knows what he is talking about.
    Brian

Brooski
    I am running a Holley mechanical on my 468 chevy with single 800cfm carb. Never had a problem.

Beautiful Noise
    I am running a Holley mechanical on my 468 chevy with single 800cfm carb. Never had a problem.
    Dan says that why your so slow :rollside:

Brooski
    Dan says that why your so slow :rollside:
    Alrighty then.......selfproclaimedslowperson........You worried I might be slower than you?

superdave013
    I would never install an electric fuel pump without a fused toggle switch. Problem solved.
    so if your float sticks it blows your fuse? you're loosing me on this one.

The right way to install any electric pump on any thing,
    is to run it off a relay that is switched from a pressure sensor, you can purchase these from any auto parts store.
    then wire the relay so that when your cranking the starter it supplies the power to the pump. then you have fuel pressure when your starting. then if your engine quits fuel stops pumping. Or in case of an accident. As far as which is best.....
    there is pro's and con's in both applications. make sure your supply line is large enough to supply the amount of fuel your pump and engine require.

The right way to install any electric pump on any thing,
    is to run it off a relay that is switched from a pressure sensor, you can purchase these from any auto parts store.
    then wire the relay so that when your cranking the starter it supplies the power to the pump. then you have fuel pressure when your starting. then if your engine quits fuel stops pumping. Or in case of an accident. As far as which is best.....
    there is pro's and con's in both applications. make sure your supply line is large enough to supply the amount of fuel your pump and engine require.
    Sounds good.. but in this schematic don't you still have remember to turn the ignition switch off? How does the electric fuel pump know the engine just quit?....Steve

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast