Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fuel Pump vs. Mechanical Fuel Pump

Heatseeker
    The right way to install any electric pump on any thing,
    is to run it off a relay that is switched from a pressure sensor, you can purchase these from any auto parts store.
    then wire the relay so that when your cranking the starter it supplies the power to the pump. then you have fuel pressure when your starting. then if your engine quits fuel stops pumping. Or in case of an accident. As far as which is best.....
    there is pro's and con's in both applications. make sure your supply line is large enough to supply the amount of fuel your pump and engine require.
    Sounds good.. but in this schematic don't you still have remember to turn the ignition switch off? How does the electric fuel pump know the engine just quit?....Steve
    I think the pressure switch plumbs into the oil system in this case.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Gee, Lets triple the wiring and put more electrical switches around WATER! BL

maxwedge
    How does the electric fuel pump know the engine just quit?....Steve
    I use a system of three small magic trolls (for weight savings), but children or midgets might work just as well. I have one small troll sitting in the engine compartment intensely watching the crank pulley for signs of movement and another troll at a knife switch near the fuel pump at all times. The third troll serves as a spare in case one drowns or becomes somehow incapcitated from the dangerous combination of engine fumes, gasoline, water, and electricity. If the pulley ever stops the first troll yells into a tin can on a string that's connected to a tin car near the second trolls ear... aww forget it. ...
    Just get a 3-5 psi oil pressure switch (used to control automotive idiot lights and such) and wire into the fuel pump relay circuit so that the relay (and therefore the fuel pump) only recieves power when there is engine oil pressure. You need the relay because the pump draws to much current to be switched directly with the oil pressure switch. I have a diagram someplace for this. If I find it I will scan it and post it.

QuickJet
    so if your float sticks it blows your fuse? you're loosing me on this one.
    If your float sticks it WON'T blow your fuse. If your motor dies due to your float sticking, all you have to do is shut off the pump. Anyone who has had a float stick with an electric pump knows it's way easier to get back to shore with a Holly blue than a boat equiped with a Manuel pump.

superdave013
    quick jet, you are missing my point completely
    If it would have been wired up like Outlaw said with the heatseaker mod to an oil pressure switch it would have saved the engine.
    we had a stuck float at the starting line. waiting for the starting gun the engine was off with the ingintion on. Finger on start button waiting for the gun to go off. Hit the button, fire the engine and whack the trottle. Only problem was the stuck float that we did not know of. so we hit the button and hydolocked the engine. that bent a rod and the rest is history.

Wicked Performance Boats
    "Anyone who has had a float stick with an electric pump knows it's way easier to get back to shore with a Holly blue than a boat equiped with a Manuel pump"
    I really don't understand this quote! Why is it easier to get to shore with a stuck float with an electrical pump? BL
    '

I think the pressure switch plumbs into the oil system in this case.
    Yes, I think that's what outlaw meant. Years ago--won't tell you how many-one of my midget buddies ran his ignition through the oil pressure switch. Worked for a while until he lost oil pressure going down the backstretch--the fella behind him promptly totaled both cars...saved the motor though...Steve

Jeanyus
    this is why i run the carter mechanical pump. i dont care what anybody says, WATER AND ELECTRICAL DONT MIX, so why add more wires and ultimately more problems if not needed?
    That explains why people put computerized ignitions, data acquisition systems, and launch controllers in thier boats.
    Dang I guess I have to take the starter, ignition system,battery, and hydralic place diverter out of my boat, since WATER AND ELECTRICAL DONT MIX.
    I'll be back in a couple hours and let you know how much better my boat works with all the electrical removed.

Konabud
    That explains why people put computerized ignitions, data acquisition systems, and launch controllers in thier boats.
    Dang I guess I have to take the starter, ignition system,battery, and hydralic place diverter out of my boat, since WATER AND ELECTRICAL DONT MIX.
    I'll be back in a couple hours and let you know how much better my boat works with all the electrical removed.
    You forgot the stero

QuickJet
    I really don't understand this quote! Why is it easier to get to shore with a stuck float with an electrical pump? BL
    '
    Be cause you can control the fuel flow of the pump with a toggle switch. Something you can't do with a Manuel pump.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast