Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gear,prop,speed?

blownschiada
    what kind of top end speed am i looking at running 1:38 gears spinning about 6500 rpm with a 11 1/2 15 menkens prop in a 19 foot schiada? Would more pitch make the boat leave harder (less cavatation)?

schiada96
    I guess around a hundred. I don't know about what more pitch would do. I run a 11 3/8 x 16.5 with a 45 gear.
    Stupid smiley frown face
    [This message has been edited by schiada96 (edited April 25, 2002).]

Costello
    Schiada96, 16.5 pitch!! Doesn't that make the v-bottom Schiada a little loose and racey at WOT?

DetroitJim
    For what it's worth, I may be an idiot but I'm running an 11 x 17 Menkens 2 blade with a ton of rake on my flatbottom. It doesn't seem to behave any different than a 11.25 x 15 Stelling SK other than a few hundred RPM.
    DJ

schiada96
    Costello I need some help on the setup, yes it gets loose but most of the time it's pretty stable. Shit I didn't know anything about a boat until I built this one. I'll try to get Lee to take a ride in it soon. You know all of the people I know. Last time at parker we were playing with the timing, and Dennis tole me to make sure it was a little looser when I gassed it well its was loose so much so I stood it way up, It scarred me pretty good. On the way back to camp I ran a HTM purple with yellow flames I had him for a long way then He ran me down. Yes it probably needs a pro to check the setup

Costello
    Schiada, I'm no expert, but I hear of most cruisers running props in the range of 12 x 15 or so as pretty much standard. I know that the bigger pitch will give more lift and thought by deductive reasoning, that there must be a reason most guys don't step up to 16 or more with the v-bottoms. I figured they would want to get a little looser with more pitch. I run a 12 x 14 currently, I'd like to try a nice 12 x 15. i was going to try the one Dennis has on his boat now, but it got grenanded and traded before I could try it!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    [This message has been edited by Costello (edited April 25, 2002).]

mister460
    "Loose is fast and on the edge of out of control!"
    C'mon guys, what's that one from???

boat030
    "Day's of thunder" that was too easy

63stevens
    the formula for determining speed is: rpm x pitch x v-drive% x .00094976 minus precentage of slippage. usually figure in 15-20% of slippage. with the numbers you gave your speed with 20% slip is 107mph. If you want to be more accurate buy yourself one of those handheld GPS'. They are only about $100.

mister460
    Okay, check this one out Boat030!!! "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer!" Ha! Figure that one out!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast