Thread: Is This Ride Plate Correct?

TeamHawaiin
    Hey guys. I'm having a problem with water turbulating and rolling so much behind the boat it is actually washing in over the back some, not a ton, but enough to know this isn't right. It mainly happens when I put my trim tabs on both sides of the boat to get the bow down. If the tabs are down too far, I believe it is washing over to the top side of the ride plate and hitting the support block. Of course I lose a ton of speed when I trim down that far but when the bow is up, its doing some porpoiseing. Excuse me if all my terminology is screwed up but I'm learning as I go along. I just recently saw a thread on STRAIGHT SNOOT that has a ride plate with small rails on both sides and a small cutout beneath the support block so water would pass through it.
    It looks like my ride plate is a home-made job and since I already have twin hydraulic trim tabs on either side of the pump, I was thinking about removing it. What is the main purpose of the ride plate if I already have trim tabs to do the job? If its suggested that I leave it on, what kind of mods can I do to make it work better.
    Any help would greatly be appreciated.

BrendellaJet
    The plate appears to be bowed for starters, could just be the pic. Also, the angle appears to be bad. Measure the plate angle in relation to the keel. Most boats will want somewhere between 1-4 degrees.

jbone
    I think you are refering to my set up.
    My set up is not perfect by any means. I added the 1/4 in angle alum. to stiffen the ride plate and ensure there was no bow and to keep it straight while on plane.
    As far as the ride plate to bowl cradle, I had it machined down so I could put the two nuts inside so I could make little adjustments as I went. It was not machined to allow water flow. I eventually got tired of tinkering with it. My intentions were to replace the cradle with a new one that fit once I was done.
    If you play with the ride plate by adjusting it up or down at the back, you'll find there will be sweet spot that will eliminate most of your porpoise and will allow you to go faster. I think mine is at about 3 deg. up. But its been a while since I messed with it.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/misc_199.jpg

MADDOG355
    I am with BrendellaJet here, It looks like the plate is bowed (but in the wrong direction? ) As for the rails on the other ride plate some people add them to help prevent the plate from bowing. I suspect the plate you have bowed and the previous owner turned it over with the thinking that it would fix it's self.
    As for the ride plate. I am suspecting you have a pretty heavy boat (the reason it has the tabs to start with), and unless you are pretty fast (70-80) I would think it is doing more harm than good.

TeamHawaiin
    I think I will remove it just for the hell of it since its so easy to pull it. It is a little bowed anyway so it will give me a chance to reinforce it. I believe the hull is quite heavy, yet its only 17 feet. It's a 98 model built from Powercat for Team Hawaiian. I bought it off of EBAY a month ago. It must have been thier raceboat some time ago. It has a couple of 80 pound sandbags stuffed in the bow. I imagine it would really standup on takeoff if I took those out. It's just a cruiser for now but it will get the BBC treatment once I get used to it. I'll update this thread and let you know my results on what I do.