Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gullwing bass boat

Scotten told me he built ONE! but never spoke about it. Budlight
    We built an open bow for Scotten (Advantage built his hulls back then) but this was in the late 80's, and if memory serves me correct, it was for George Stregal. But it wasn't set up as a Bass boat, it was set up for seating, such as it was, up in that bow. So as far as him building 'one', I'm not sure that's the case.

Does anybody now where the style of the gullwing came from?? One hint 18ft cobalt in the 70s??
    don't know where the gullwing bottom got it's start, but OMC came out with two versions in '62, one a Johnson the other an Evinrude, both sold as 'gullwing' designs. Built til '70 or so, then Chris Craft bought the molds and continued production.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/omcj.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/omce.jpg
    Oh yeah, while this isn't a gull wing, it was the first departure from the conventional V bottom designed boat, and that was the Hickman Sea Sled. (Sea Sled?, Jesus, what a name) Albert Hickman designed his first inverted V bottom boat in 1914 and as early as 1921 these big hogs were running well over 50 mph. And I believe they were used by the military because of their being so stable, able to haul big pay loads and so on.
    Just a little useless info. lol
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/hickman2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/hickman1.jpg

We built an open bow for Scotten (Advantage built his hulls back then) but this was in the late 80's, and if memory serves me correct, it was for George Stregal. But it wasn't set up as a Bass boat, it was set up for seating, such as it was, up in that bow. So as far as him building 'one', I'm not sure that's the case.
    was it blue and white? I still see them water skiing with that boat out at the river.

was it blue and white?
    Could be, sounds right, been a long time. Doesn't help that I'm color blind either.

Wicked Performance Boats
    OR, I was only talking about bass boats. I have no idea how many open bow's he may have built. And thanks for the rest of the infomation. I hated history in school BUT now I love it! BL

OR, I was only talking about bass boats. I have no idea how many open bow's he may have built. And thanks for the rest of the infomation. I hated history in school BUT now I love it! BL
    Got ya...but isn't his thread about open bow cp bass boats, cause the pictures of the one smokin joes posted is a closed bow.
    I thought maybe someone converted the one we built back in the day to be more utilitarian, from seats to whatever the hell a bass fisherman would have up there in the bow.

Wicked Performance Boats
    OR, To tell you the truth. I don't know if it was open or closed bow. But my guess it was a closed bow, otherwise it would take alot of deck mold work [or inserts] to make it work. I only heard about the one bassboat from Bill.
    This is probably it BL

78CoLe
    hey pat your mold is the one their talking about that looks like a fishing boat my neighbor knows the guy he bought it at a auction in the late 80's and made it a fishing boat supposedly according to my neighbor

smokinjoe
    this is the trolling motor off of the bow. also the passingers seat was removed for more space in the boat. the hull is in good shape doesnt appear to be rode hard just weathered. i will put up a couple of pics when the paint is done today

Wicked Performance Boats
    hey pat your mold is the one their talking about that looks like a fishing boat my neighbor knows the guy he bought it at a auction in the late 80's and made it a fishing boat supposedly according to my neighbor
    I'll ask JO JO when I see him again. Pat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast