Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do i really need "Trailer" tires...

I'm getting rims and tires for my trailer, nothing special just the chepo 50 dollar ea rims and cheap tires. The guy quotes me for what he says are trailering tires.. These tires are 79 buck ea. Now i'm looking at mohave tires which are 50ea and have decient reviews. He's trying to say i should run these other tires because they will tow better and stay trail better and yadda yadda... I could understand this maybe if i was putting these on a 7000lb trailer but this is a 18' boat. I'm just curious as to what you guys put on your trailers and your experiences. My trailer is a tandom axle so i will have 4 tires, if i was running a single axle i might be more inclined to run a trailer tire or somthing better...

mdunn01
    On a jet boat thats 18 feet, use normal tires, you dont need no stinkin Trailer tires. Thats a bunch of BS on a boat that light and small.
    " Badges, we dont need no stinkin badges"
    Mike

Car radials were a disaster on my big boat trailer, trailer radials fixed that, but I run car radials on my little boat tandem trailer, I don't even notice it, back there.

boats&bars
    the mojaves will be fine americas tire has em, buy the certs.

certs?

LuckyDaze
    I waffled back and forth on Trailer tires VS car tires. After all of my driving back and fourth and one incident with my father and his car tires blowing out on the 40 I spent the extra dough for piece of mind. I counted 6 blow outs on my way home Sunday evening from the river. I DO NOT want to be one of them. I could probably get away with car tires but I'd rather play it safe than sorry. I also have fiberglass fenders which are VERY hard to come by and are color matched to my boat. If I had a blow out that ruined a fender I would be quite upset!
    ~Brian

Kachina26
    certs?For your breath.
    That or a road hazard dealio

Saab
    When I bought tires for my trailer the guy told me the difference between trailer tires and passenger car tires is weight rating. Yea 6 plies and will hold 2000lbs a tire is great, but not needed on a 18' boat. Whats your boat and trailer weigh? If car tires will get the job done dont worry. If your that worried about and do as the books say, you should change your trailer tires every three years. In which case you will want the less expensive car tires. :idea:

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have used car tires for 25 years. Never had a flat yet....

502 JET
    I run car tires on my trailers, the cheapest I can find. I have them on everything my jet's trailer, on my 5500lb 22' deep v cuddy cabin boat trailer, and a 3 axle 30' enclosed car trailer. I have pulled them all 75 mph for years with no problems with swaying or tire failures.
    I just put 4 new tires on my jets trailer from Pep Boys that were $38. each.
    Trailer tires have a stiffer side wall so they don't flex like car tires. This helps keep the trailer from swaying. But it will also translate more road bounce/bumps to the trailer and or boat.
    The car tires have flex to them and it helps absorb the bumps. Car tires hold up hold up large heavy cars and will have no problem supporting a boat and trailer that's half the weight or most cars.
    If someone is telling you that you must have trailer specific tires they should also be telling you must have trailer specific wheels too.
    The only reason I can think of that you must have trailer specific tires and wheels would be if you were to file an insurance claim from damage sustained in a tire or wheel failure. When they inspect the damage and find you don't have trailer specific tire and wheel, they may blame you and your claim could get denied.
    I'm a cheap F... I'll stick with the car tires and the tire salesmen can kiss my a$$.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast