Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do i really need "Trailer" tires...

Cas
    if you have a single axle trailer, get trailer tires. If it's a tandem, read this and decide for yourself-
    http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/ac...ailertires.pdf

boats&bars
    certs?
    Certs are the $10 per tire warranty if you have a blow out or a flat bring The tire with the cert they replace it no questions asked.

boats&bars
    if you have a single axle trailer, get trailer tires. If it's a tandem, read this and decide for yourself-
    http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/ac...ailertires.pdf
    good info.

After I posted that article some time back I switched my Eliminator 20 to a nice set actual trailer tires I "scammed" from a trade in ,I swear it tows differently! My little boat still has low pro 60 series however and will stay that way Tom
    http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/DSC05795.jpg
    http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/DSC05798.jpg

rerfert
    When I bought tires for my trailer the guy told me the difference between trailer tires and passenger car tires is weight rating. Yea 6 plies and will hold 2000lbs a tire is great, but not needed on a 18' boat. Whats your boat and trailer weigh? If car tires will get the job done dont worry. If your that worried about and do as the books say, you should change your trailer tires every three years. In which case you will want the less expensive car tires. :idea:My tire guy (the one that is not looking to sell me tires I dont need)
    He Said on a trailer the side load to a tire is more severe becuase of the tire scrubing in a turn and while backing up and cause side wall wear/damage.
    He said car tires on a tandem boat trailer are fine for the weight but trailer tires are purpose built.....run at your own risk....I have always run car tires on tandems and trailer tires on singles.

River Girl
    Ok I'm going to throw my two cents in.
    I just also bought new tires for my boat trailer at American Tires (Yes i bought 4 new tires and i had to buy a spare just in case). I ended up using the trailer tires by GoodYear / Marathon's. (At american tires they where only 89.99 apiece and yes i did do the warrienty). When we bought the boat, the trailer already had reg. tires on them and i also gotten the bounce when i was driving. I wanted to feel alittle safe having trailer tires, because i do drive by myself and the difference between the tires is that the trailer tires have a heavier side wall. Yes also when i do go home on sunday's I also see about 4-6 trucks (with boats) having flats on the side of the road. I don't want to be one of those guys (girl)on the side of the road. Thanks for listen to my two cents.
    River Girl

TahitiTiger
    Just my .02 but I have had trailer tires blow out just as easly as car tires. My father had brand new trailer tires on a Dico enclosed car trailer. Blew out ripped half the side of the trailer off, plus came real close to damaging our race car inside. All due to a defective tire. My 65 Glasspar had car tires from the 70's on it. Cracked side wall, older than a tire should be, they are still on the trailer to this day, and gets towed 500 miles per trip 5 times a year. I will be putting new tires on my trailer, only because I curbed it at the gate house, and lost a HUGE chunk of sidewall. They are Good Year Eagles, and yes I am cheap and will be getting used tires from the local guy.
    Just make sure what ever tire you do decide on, it is a quality tire. Don't be afraid to tell them you want to see em first, and check the insides.
    (btw here is a big Taboo, I have yet to run a spare on any of our trailers )

I recently took delivery of a brand new trailer from Competative trailer . (what an ordeal that was) Friday at noon I pick it up, a couple of hours later I'm driving out to the river . Sunday on my way home I see tire smoke , and alot of it . I pull over and sure as shit literally half the side wall came apart . So much for the "heavy duty trailer tires " I was supposed to get . My 18'er has car tires and I have also had the same situation happen . They weren't brand new though . First chance my wallet gives me , I'm goin to Americas tire co. to replace all the tires on my new trailer :cry:
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...rpics001-2.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...lerpics006.jpg
    I've gone through 2 brand new tires on my truck and thank god for there warranty. The only thing I had to pay for was for the new warranty on the new tire , $16 .
    -beerjet-

Nice looking trailer did you refab the old one or is it brand spanking new?

Nice looking trailer did you refab the old one or is it brand spanking new?
    It's new. Competitive Trailers.
    I got two cents on trailer tires, well kind of. This post is more for an FYI than telling you what kind of tires to buy.
    I have a tandem trailer, old "real" trailer tires on it, no cracks in the tires. I had my tires at 45 psi per sidewall rec.'s. I left at 6:00 PM and went to Laughlin Nevada from San Diego. No problems. I left Laughlin the next morning and was driving to the AVI Hotel, it was about 120 degree's outside that day. About 23 miles before I got to the AVI one of my tires lost it's entire tread. About 20 miles later it blew, by the time I got to the AVI that tire didn't exist - just a couple of rubber bands on the rim. I borrowed a spare. Two days later I left the AVI with 4 good trailer tires, it was about 115 degree's that day. About 20? miles later I lost the tread on another tire. I deflated that tire a lot and strapped up it's axle to lessen it's load it would receive. About 50 miles later another tires started losing it's tread. I deflated that tire a little bit. On one of my many stops trying to find replacement tires that day an "old timer" came by to offer me some advice, I'm positive that he could see me mentaly struggling with the situation at my hands.
    He told me to deflate all of my tires as the reason I was losing my tread was because the air in the tires was getting very hot from the very hot pavement causing the air inside the tires to over-inflate themselves = losing tread.
    Just because you check everything twice doesn't mean you're not going to have troubles. Don't believe everything you read, even tire sidewalls, learn from others and their mistakes! Next trip I take my new sidewalls are going to tell me to inflate to 60 psi, no thanks - on those tires I think I'll inflate to 45.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast