Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!! Oxidation

gqchris
    Hey Ducky, pickd up the Harbor Freight buffer you recommended today and went to town on the boat this evening. Thanks for all the advice, I used the Meguires 49 with a high end wool pad, medium speed. Sure does look pretty Got 90% of my dulling out. What a mess it made, that stuff sure does sling everywhere! Question now is, how do I insure that once i put it in the water in a few weeks, it doesnt creep back again. Lots of wax? I used Meguires polish 45 today. Any other tips! Thanks so much for steering us right way!
    Chris

gqchris
    Good post. The oxidation remover (#49?) works real good on sanded areas, but I have found it really only works with wool pad for this step. Foam doesn't seem aggressive enough to get the scratches out. After the wool, foam is great for the rest (polish/sealer and then wax).
    Beer 30 thanks for your tips as well.
    Chris

brwn234
    Thanks for all your help guys. I ordered the buffer and some pads yesterday morning and now I'm a waitin. ggchris, I'm glad to hear you had some good results. I'm using the same compund and wax as you. Did you use any polish? I got some in my McGuires kit that I plan to use. Once I get my stuff and start working I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks again for your help.

gqchris
    Well, just an update, a little of my oxidation "creeped" back. I was told by someone today that my gelcoats lifespan is pretty much over. I guess I will just run what I brung and see what happens.
    Chris

DUCKY
    I am glad I could help your guys out.
    Anyways, GGchris, it appears that your boat is black, correct? Raw black gel (no clear over it) is tough to keep looking nice. If the oxidation came back quickly, you probably didn't sand enough, but black requires some form of polishing (meguire's cleaner wax....) almost every trip, especially when the boat starts to age. I also like 3M's "dark color" polish applied with their gray foam waffle pad for black gel, but it only lasts a trip or two...

gqchris
    I am glad I could help your guys out.
    Anyways, GGchris, it appears that your boat is black, correct? Raw black gel (no clear over it) is tough to keep looking nice. If the oxidation came back quickly, you probably didn't sand enough, but black requires some form of polishing (meguire's cleaner wax....) almost every trip, especially when the boat starts to age. I also like 3M's "dark color" polish applied with their gray foam waffle pad for black gel, but it only lasts a trip or two...
    Yea it is black Ducky I will definately try the 3m dark color polish. You are right, when I polish, im good till the trip is over, then back to the elbow grease to get her right!

gqchris
    Just for kicks, here are a few shots showing my gel and condition sorta. Just have a tough time on the transom, whic is all black, and the top where the water pools midway on the rails!
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...hris/boat3.jpg
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...hris/boat4.jpg

DUCKY
    I think a good color sand/buff will bring her back pretty nicely. I just don't know how much gel is left on the thing.....

brwn234
    So I finally got everything together and started buffing the boat. Looks great, very happy with the results. I wet sanded some of the badly oxidized spots with 2000. The McGuires Oxidation remover #49 took a long time to remove the sand lines. If I ever do it again I'll get a compound a little more aggresive to start with.
    Any suggestions on keeping it looking great. I love Hot Sauce for quick cleaning. I've got some Quickie Sauce, but havn't used it yet.

I Know It's A Bandaid.the Person I Bought My Boat From. Wet Sanded And Cleared My Orig Gel. And It Looks Good.imo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12