Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marine mechanics

Running_on_Empty
    I have become very interested in becoming a marine mechanic. I was just wondering if anybody is an actual marine mechanic here. I was wondering what entry level mechanics are making in your area. If the job is worth investing in. I can spend 16,800 for a six month course at wyotech, but I want to make sure I can afford to go there once I get out. Any other employment suggestions weather they are marine related or not. I currently manage an inoculant factory for a friend. I have to go on unemployment for 3 months in the summer and I can't keep it up much longer if I want anything out of life. Thanks.

lilrick
    It is a highly seasonal profession. Feast or famine! It's not an easy living. I don't want to discourage you, but you will work your a$$ off in the summer and not have much to do in the winter.

DUCKY
    Not trying to scare you away, but my opinion is to not spend the money. The wages probably don't warrant the education, and the work is not only seasonal, it changes drastically with the economy. I am going to step out on a limb and say that the highest paid techs in the industry are probably making $60k per year in the hot markets, with full manufacturer certs and 10+ years experience compared to the automotive industry, where the same level of tech can make $100k+ a year. And let's not even get started on the benefits (or lack therof), the liability (USCG reg's etc), come-backs due to inability to "road test", etc....
    On the entry level side, When I moved to Havasu, I had a few of my certs, about 5 continuous years experience, and most of my tools, and was offered jobs at 3 local dealers. Not one of them wanted to pay me more than $10 an hour to start. Needless to say, I declined.

Running_on_Empty
    I have several friends who work in the automotive industry and they don't get paid worth a damn either. Some work at saturn and get 10 an hour if the work is there, and the other works at jaguar and makes 25 an hour, but only works about 20 hours a week. Both spent 15k plus on an education and live in indianapolis....seems like there isn't much room for extra money there. Looking on the internet I've found several job openings for entry level mechanics that start off between 12 and 18 dollars an hour. Most of these jobs are in florida. Experienced mechanics can range from 15-35 with benefits and year round work. That is just what I have seen as a gather information on the field. Are you a marine mechanic now? Do you own your own shop or are you working for someone else? Can you even begin to touch a shity apartment in havasu for 10 an hour? What year did you first get into the profession? I look at going to 2 and 4 year schools and I see little to no benifit in that unless your going to be a doctor, lawyer, or dentist or know sombody that is going to hook you up with a good job. To me post secondary education seems like a no real win situation.....that ranges between 25k and 52k a year.....your going to stick yourself with a good amount of financial debt to get yourself in position to do something that you are interested in. I don't know. I know I'm sick of Indiana and I'm sick of my job. Does anybody have any suggestions for a career based on experience weather it be positive or negative?

Running_on_Empty
    I just looked into that briefly and I could imagine there is some money in that. Do you deal with aircraft?

old flat
    Ben: if you want to talk about heavy equipment mechanics, give me a call. I can give some insight in that field in the west.
    STEVE

Running_on_Empty
    Steve my man...whats happenin'? Hey I appriciate that....my boat is done being painted and all they have left to do is buff it....kind of a bummer this late in the season, but what are you going to do, ya know. I will be in touch with you when I get in back to go through some more specifics...if thats cool with you. Is that what you do for cat?

Running_on_Empty
    Does anybody have any insight on mobile marine mechanics. Seems like a good idea to an extent?

old flat
    Ben, Yeah it's all good, I work with all aspects of heavy equipment for Cat, all in the Western Hemisphere, just give me a call if you want to talk. Can't wait to see pics of the boat.
    STEVE

DUCKY
    I have several friends who work in the automotive industry and they don't get paid worth a damn either. Some work at saturn and get 10 an hour if the work is there, and the other works at jaguar and makes 25 an hour, but only works about 20 hours a week. Both spent 15k plus on an education and live in indianapolis....seems like there isn't much room for extra money there. Looking on the internet I've found several job openings for entry level mechanics that start off between 12 and 18 dollars an hour. Most of these jobs are in florida. Experienced mechanics can range from 15-35 with benefits and year round work. That is just what I have seen as a gather information on the field. Are you a marine mechanic now? Do you own your own shop or are you working for someone else? Can you even begin to touch a shity apartment in havasu for 10 an hour? What year did you first get into the profession? I look at going to 2 and 4 year schools and I see little to no benifit in that unless your going to be a doctor, lawyer, or dentist or know sombody that is going to hook you up with a good job. To me post secondary education seems like a no real win situation.....that ranges between 25k and 52k a year.....your going to stick yourself with a good amount of financial debt to get yourself in position to do something that you are interested in. I don't know. I know I'm sick of Indiana and I'm sick of my job. Does anybody have any suggestions for a career based on experience weather it be positive or negative?
    Obviously the coastal areas are going to be the high paying locations for marine mechanics. I started out as as an entry level tech at 17. Always had a love for boats, and have been around racing of many types my whole life. I figured that this industry would be a good fit, and it has been. I stayed a tech for about 4 years, then went into fiberglass, with a few hiatus's here and there. When I took a job here in Havasu, it was at a fiberglass shop, on commission. It worked out to an average of around $14 an hour, and you are right, it doesn't go very far. I decided that I wasn't getting anywhere and I opened my own fiberglass/gel coat shop and still do a little mechanical work on Mercury outboards, v-drives, and jet boats. I try to avoid stern drives, and maintenance type work.
    Like I said, I wasn't trying to talk you out of becoming a tech, just the school, and I was trying to warn of some of the pitfalls. It is my opinion that the schools won't do much for you without basic knowledge and common sense, and if you have those, you should be able to build on those while working and making money instead of throwing money at a school. Huff's idea on the A&P isn't a bad one, and he does have a point about the transfer of the skills.
    On the mobile idea, I have considered that (for mech. work, not glass). I think it's very possible to make a good living doing it, but you have to stay busy with small jobs, because you won't be doing complete drives and R&R'ing engines on a mobile basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast