Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bravo one has too much side to side play

Waveline24
    have noticed that the outdrive is sloppy when you are standing behind the boat or when in the water. You can move it side to side quite a bit before it hits the point where stops and forces the steering wheel to turn. What part is it that needs to be replaced or adjusted to correct this. I hope this is enough info for you to understand my problem. It just seems too sloppy. It works just fine as far as the mechanical running aspects.
    What do you think?
    Thanks
    Let me know if you need more info.
    [ October 15, 2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Waveline24 ]

flat broke
    Considering I don't know S**t about outdrives, take this with a grain of salt. Could you have air in your power steering setup? It seems like that could allow for some play. Check, the return line on the powersteering pump to make sure the hoseclamp is tight. Thats where I would guess you would ingest air first if the rest of your system wasn't cracked etc.
    Hope that helps,
    Chris

Waveline24
    Thanks but I am talking about the play before you even get to the power steering engaging. This is play just on the outdrive and does not move the inside "lever" that connects to P/S ram. Basically, I have been led to believe that I may need to try tightening the 2 nuts at the top of the outdrive to 40lbs ft. This is supposed to be done every 100hrs and I was not aware of it.
    Anyone else have an opinion on this?
    Thanks
    [ October 15, 2002, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Waveline24 ]

1BIGJIM
    Your gimble ring needs to be replaced. You can watch it move looking through the outdrive on the top. It has a square bolt that has been rounded because the two screws you talked about were not tight.

superV
    Its your gimbel$$$ do not run the boat till it is fixed. If it goes out you will have no controll and the boat will turn hard right when it happens. If at high speed you could really be in bad shape. There is an adjustment bolt on the top try that first. Good Luck!

Waveline24
    superV, are you talking about the two nuts at the top that you can get to on the ouside of the boat? The ones I was talking about tightening to 40lb ft.?

superV
    Yes those are the ones. If that does not help than your up shit creek with a paddel! Sorry to give you the bad news. frown

Waveline24
    Better to get the bad news and be safe!!!
    Thanks,
    Hopefully it pulls some up the slack.

1BIGJIM
    Mercruiser makes a repair kit to replace the ring. You have to drill two holes (kit comes with plugs) to use a punch to get the nut off the gimble bolt. This is a big job if you are not experienced in this I would suggest taking it to your dealer. It will run about $1,500. Good luck.

Waveline24
    $1500? Uggg, I sure hope I can either tighten her up without breaking the bolt or do this kit myself. Now when you say have experience. I know motors but I dont have any experience with the specifics of the gimbal.
    How tough is it?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast