Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whipple reliability ?

Stoked
    I have a Stoker 224 with a HP500EFI and XR Bravo, the boat runs 100 on GPS. I am looking for the acceleration of a Whipple system. I have spoken to Dustin he was very helpful and assured me that I would continue to have excellent reliability. I am real close to taking the plung but a few testimonials sure would be nice
    Thanks Steve.

HM
    As long as you have someone who is familiar with the Whipples, they are excellent and very reliable.

NashvilleBound
    Funny you should post this as I talked directly to Mercury Racing today about this. I have the Ultra 247XS with the HP500EFI and wanted to do a Whipple system. Problem is I have the XZ drive. Thats not all.... If you upgrade (me) to the XR drive gears they say its only good up to 670 horse. They wanted me to put on the dry sump 6...oh sure, would you take $5000 for it..riggghhht! It looks like a whipple system is out unless I can score a used high end drive. Though he did say that with the smaller boats...like yours...theres not near the drag and resistance so it "Might" be ok. Unfortunately thats not good enough for me. I could just see my drive grenading, on the lake, and me having no option but to shell out another $15k, or more, for a new drive. Good luck whatever you do. NB

Stoked
    NashvilleBound: My friend just picked up a 2001 27 Hallett equiped with a Merc 575SCI. I went for a ride Sunday and was amazed, the torque was unreal.( the boat is awsome too It ran through 3 foot disorganized ocean chop with no problem) I am sold on a blower. The Whipple supercharger seems perfect for my application, but like you, reliability is number 1. I hope I can get some real life stories on peoples experiences with what appears to be the choice for me. Good Luck with your project. Steve.

You should talk to WHIPPEDCALIBER!!

HighRoller
    I'm a jet guy,but in regards to Nashville's comments...Have you looked into the BMAX??

Raypanic
    I have twin 502's whippled with minor head work, 700 hp each in front of IMCO Extreme SC drives. Ran all season about 50 hours. No problems awesome power and acceleration. 38' Powerquest. Set up by Tyler Crockett in Michigan. Starts and Idles like stock. If you are still concerened take notice the blowers on the new 1050 SCI merc are Lysholm (sp?) They are the same manufacturer as whipple uses. Very reliable and long service life .
    [ September 19, 2002, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Raypanic ]

NashvilleBound
    Dont get me wrong....I think Whipple makes the finest system but I fear the out drive problems. Its not a question of the Whipple reliability. If I could do the XR upgrade and not have to worry, I would have it done in a heartbeat! Aren't the IMCO Extreme drives pricey? Its not too bad if you can spend $10k for the system, including upgrades, but $30K?? You can get the new HP525EFI for just a bit more. I would really like to hear "real life" stories to help with the choices too.
    [ September 19, 2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: NashvilleBound ]

Pure Magic
    Stoked:
    I have a Stoker 224 with a HP500EFI and XR Bravo, the boat runs 100 on GPS. I am looking for the acceleration of a Whipple system. I have spoken to Dustin he was very helpful and assured me that I would continue to have excellent reliability. I am real close to taking the plung but a few testimonials sure would be nice
    Thanks Steve.28 Magic Cat 850Hp with a Whipple System 7psi. XR drive with ITS. 45 Hrs so far no problems. Ez on ez off.

NashvilleBound
    Thanks Pure Magic....Few more stories like that and I'll be game too!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast