Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 350, Turbo 400, or Powerglide?

sgdiv7
    I have had a powerglide in my flattie for two years now with out a single problem and I could see a oiling problem if you have the back of the transmission pointed upward or level because the output shaft bushing gets lubed by the governor. when you make it a manual shift you eliminate that but if you use the TCI short shaft kit they use the governor fluid passage to lube the bearing for the drive shaft yoke which runs past the rear output shaft bushing and lubes it.
    does any one know how much a lenco set up would be, two speed with a reverser?

69 Elim
    I vote for the Powerglide for flatbottoms. I have a builtproff one for my blower motor and a rebuilt, heavy duty one for my ski flat. Never ever had problems with them. 1st gear for around the marina, 2nd gear for driving. Neutral and reverse is real nice. would never go back to an old in/out box. maybe in a daycruiser using a T400 to be able to shift it, but in a flat, really no reason.

Fiat48
    Spectras Only: Yes, the Fiat is a Topolino "Mob Style" stretched. 189.90 mph, 190 is avoiding me.
    sgdiv7: I have seen Lenco's with reverser's for $2000 to $2500. But then the certified can, clutch and all that runs up the bill quickly. I cannot afford. Check here for used Lenco's, clutches, cans, etc. http://nitronic.com/classifieds/

bkegan
    I vote for PowerGlide all the way! I have a Trans Specialties modified p-glide with a short ouput shaft behind my 600 h.p. blown dart sbc in a 1963 mandella flat. I am running it in it's second season with NO problems whatsoever!
    P.S. I use a Hurst 1/4 stick shifter and a TCI pump drive with no torque converter.

HM
    I have been running a 2 spd Powerglide in my '72 Mandella for 12 years without a problem. I run a 750 HP huffer mouse and have given it a workout. Last year I had Powerglide checked out while the mouse was in for the 6 million dollar rebuild, and the guys at Art Carr thought it looked like new. I do run an oil from Lubrication Engineers, which I think has helped. The only draw back of the 2 spd Powerglide is that Neutral is hydraulic, meaning it spins when there is not much resistance, like a prop in water, and so it still moves forward in neutral.

Monkey Bung
    I had a polished glide in my flat with an external oil cooler. Worked great,but I never shifted just stayed in drive.

Thunderbutt
    I have a 400 and it creeps forward in neutral too, so I use park to stand still. Where do you buy the oil. Is it classified as transmission fluid or oil. HolyMoly:
    I have been running a 2 spd Powerglide in my '72 Mandella for 12 years without a problem. I run a 750 HP huffer mouse and have given it a workout. Last year I had Powerglide checked out while the mouse was in for the 6 million dollar rebuild, and the guys at Art Carr thought it looked like new. I do run an oil from Lubrication Engineers, which I think has helped. The only draw back of the 2 spd Powerglide is that Neutral is hydraulic, meaning it spins when there is not much resistance, like a prop in water, and so it still moves forward in neutral.

HM
    I get it from Wilkes Marine in Santa Ana, CA. 714-540-8908. I believe it is classified as an Allison C 4 approved Power Fluid. I use their 90W gear oil for the V-Drive and the same results - gears look new after 12 years of use and very very little shavings, which were probably due to break-in as the gears were new when I put it together.
    I would use park in my powerglide, but Art Carr removed it in the original marine conversion.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
    [QB]I have a 400 and it creeps forward in neutral too, so I use park to stand still. Where do you buy the oil. Is it classified as transmission fluid or oil. [QUOTE]Originally posted by
    [ July 20, 2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

DansBlown73Nordic
    I use my park in my Turbo-400. That way I don't need a anchor!!!!!!!! wink eek! lol

DansBlown73Nordic
    I use my park in my Turbo-400. That way I don't need a anchor!!!!!!!! wink eek! lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast