Thread: Alternator Wiring

LilFlattie
    I need a little help. I keep killing the battery in my Flat. Ihave a old Prestolite Alt. It has 3 posts on the back. 1 is A.C tap, 2is IND light term, and 3 is positive output. I also have the two posts on the bottom that say EXC and SEN. They have a jumper wire joining them together. I have two switches to start the boat. One is a pullout switch and the other is the push button to start. Now how the hell do I wire this up so I don't kill the battery eek! .....ANY and all help is much appreciated
    Cal

Highlimit9000
    Take it to a alternator/starter shop and have it converted to a single wire. It is not that expensive, and it makes it easy, 1 wire back to the battery...

GofastRacer
    Summit sells a kit for about $30 to convert to a one wire unit!...

superdave013
    Just off the top of my head here so I'm most likely wrong. Don't you hook the field up to the solinoid on the starter? If you have it going to the battery it will drain it for sure.

sgdiv7
    Three wires should have power with the key on. With the key off only one of the field wires should have power, it don't matter which one. If there is still a draw on the battery there is a bad diode in the alternator and you can check this by putting a digital volt meter on the a/c scale across the battery with the engine running and the reading should not be over 1/2 volt a/c. If it is replace or rebuild it, then make it a one wire alternator.