Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spraying Gellcoat.

YeLLowBoaT
    Which ever one meets the specs for the product your using.
    You would have to read the data sheet for the product your using. My guess is it ask for something thats 100% MEK( or some mix of MEK and other solvents that is made just for that product.)
    I know pro solutons( dunn edwards) and le star ( which is sold in KM, SW and a few other paint stores) its 100% MEK

FOURQ
    Hey Yellowboat,What MEK would You recomend for thinning?
    Can You make gell coat from lam resin by adding pigment and a suf agent to the last coat? I have about 5 gals of resin left and sure would be nice if I could use some for gell coat....hal
    just get some styrine ... thats what the Gel MFG. uses in gell. MEK and Acatone are cleaners not reducers
    do not add resin unless you plan on brushing the gell in the bildge and you want it thick..

FOURQ
    I know this has been covered many times,But just havent found the exact answers.
    I want to spray gell on the inside of my boat on the floor.
    I am looking to spay either just one solid color or a base color with some diffrent color stripes.
    1.Can I body work the glass on the inside with a poly filler to fill in low spots,then spray gell over.If so does the body work need a primer before the gell?
    2.how much should the gell be thinned with acetone?
    3. how much catalyst should be used and is it the same catalyst as resin? is the amount ,the ratio ,the same as resin?
    4.should a surfacing agent be mixed in to the gell to cure to a non tacky finnish?
    5. should the gell be sanded before flowcoating?
    6. On my ply wood floor, thewood will be seen .if i sand the layer of cloth that is on top will the flowcoat cover and blend back in ,the woven pattern of the cloth that is seen when sanded?
    Thanks in advance for answers to my questions.....Hal
    1: yes but it will come out later. use micro ballons or cabasile (SP)
    2: it shouldn't! use styrene
    3: yes you can use the same MEKP. ratio is defined on the gel can a little less when its really hot out or a little more when its cold
    4: depends on what color and were you are spraying
    5: DO NOT SAND THE CLOTH IT WILL BE SEEN AND LOOK LIKE SHIT!!! just use the prestek flow coat to level it out and just sand and buff the prestek not the glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12