Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Eliminator Scorpion running flat and wet

jdf

hotbo
    I didn't get the boat out today. I got busy and ran out of daylight. So I'm shooting for tomorrow morning.
    I'd like to say thanks again JR. and thankyou to the others for suggestions.
    I spoke with Harold Bruce from R&D Marine (http://r-dmarine.com/default.htm). It was very nice of him to take the time and call me back and share his secrets and talents with me. He said to go ahead and play around with setup changes but to get the most gain I will have to modify the bottom. He explained in detail how and what to do to the bottom to get the boat up on top of the water. He even offered to help out along the way when I do the bottom.
    When the seasons is over I 'm going to do the bottom as suggested, for now I'll tinker around with the hardware and enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Could you explain swap the tail. Spin out?
    My boat so far rides smooth and uneventful. It's also very stable on shutdown. It's never done anything unpredictable.
    when you start drooping that shoe below keel sometimes and most times it will cuase hairy shutdowns.the boat can nose dive really bad if let off to sudden,can tail walk,or porpiose you never know just be careful and play slowly at first cause the boat will set different and act different.

502 JET
    hey we own this ride now
    How's it running? Is the bottom work holding up after all these years? Do you have any pics of the bottom?
    When you start drooping that shoe below keel sometimes and most times it will cause hairy shutdown's boat can nose dive really bad if let off to sudden, can tail walk, or porpoise you never know just be careful and play slowly at first cause the boat will set different and act different.
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll start off slowly and see how it reacts to the changes, I sure as he!! don't want to get pitched out.
    I'm off to the river.

Liberator TJ1984
    502Jet ,
    spinning out is what his would do , for some reason while turning ! it would unhook at the rear ? bad part is You just never could tell when or why. I would almost describe it like hooking a sponson on a roller and having it whip the ass end around ? except water was smooth...
    But just as the others stated , when he called around almost everyone told him his hull was designed for an outboard , and did not like the jet drive setup.
    I personnally never rode with him , but was there twice when it pulled its swapparoo trick . thankfully he was not going more than about 30 mph when it would do it and never pitched him completely out of the boat. Who knows someone may have tinkered with it before him and really screwed up his hull bottom ??

502 JET
    502Jet ,
    spinning out is what his would do , for some reason while turning ! it would unhook at the rear ? bad part is You just never could tell when or why. I would almost describe it like hooking a sponson on a roller and having it whip the ass end around ? except water was smooth...
    But just as the others stated , when he called around almost everyone told him his hull was designed for an outboard , and did not like the jet drive setup.
    I personnally never rode with him , but was there twice when it pulled its swapparoo trick . thankfully he was not going more than about 30 mph when it would do it and never pitched him completely out of the boat. Who knows someone may have tinkered with it before him and really screwed up his hull bottom ??
    I never tried turning my boat fast. It don't handle like a sprint boat that's for sure. I always slow down and turn around. If I let off the gas and turned the wheel then nailed the gas again it may spin out. But that's not something I would try with a boat. I have done it on a jetski though.

502 JET
    I went to the river today but couldn't gps the boat, too much traffic. The boat still shuts down smoothly after dropping the shoe. There's no telling if I hurt or gained performance until I can get some clean water and run the gps.
    The leading edges of the ramps on my loader hang 1" below the keel. Does this sound correct?
    It seems to me that this would cause a huge drag and help pull the bow down.

jdf
    like jr said it like's to fly the nose ....it still has the same hardware and setup on the pump when jr and sr had it ....we are putting a 496 with a 250 shot in it

SD Beach
    Well 502 you will have a fun boat once you set it up correct. They are great boats, but need some work to get there.
    I would go to the person that knows how to make them run (R&D)
    Educated guess can be ok but some time dangerous. He has made them run.
    Don't put the shoe below the bottom of the boat (dangerous)
    Keep us updated on the progress.....
    A Scorpion is wider then a Daytona

hotbo
    I went to the river today but couldn't gps the boat, too much traffic. The boat still shuts down smoothly after dropping the shoe. There's no telling if I hurt or gained performance until I can get some clean water and run the gps.
    The leading edges of the ramps on my loader hang 1" below the keel. Does this sound correct?
    It seems to me that this would cause a huge drag and help pull the bow down.
    i have never heard of a loader being that far below keel,:idea: huge drag i would think also.imo you need to cut that back some cut back alittle at a time and retest to see if it helps.imo the loader being that far below keel its blocking the shoe some and not letting that front of the boat pick up some.but then again im just a amature and these are only my opinons but i do wish you luck and hope something i said helps.

JR131
    cut the ramps back so they start just past the second bolt hole on the pad
    this should get you above the bottom
    jr

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234