Thread: Im Shaking!!

Southwest47
    When I shift my 496HO into reverse the boat begins shaking considerably. The more throttle I give it, the more it shakes. Is this normal, or do I have a problem? Any advise/suggestions to what the problem may be?

Infomaniac
    Check the prop and shaft bushings.
    If your lucky the ignition interruptor is out of adjustment. Does the engine run smooth just shakes?

Southwest47
    Check the prop and shaft bushings.
    If your lucky the ignition interruptor is out of adjustment. Does the engine run smooth just shakes?
    I installed the prop before I put in the water, so I'm sure the prop was snug...but I'm not sure about the bushings. And yes, the engine ran smooth.

kevnmcd
    Where does your exhaust exit the transom? Do you have salsbury (sp?) flaps on your tips? If your exhaust is right at the water line it could just be that the water is pushing the flaps closed and your exhaust is trying to push them open. This happens on mine sometimes and creates quite a vibration in reverse.

Southwest47
    Where does your exhaust exit the transom? Do you have salsbury (sp?) flaps on your tips? If your exhaust is right at the water line it could just be that the water is pushing the flaps closed and your exhaust is trying to push them open. This happens on mine sometimes and creates quite a vibration in reverse.
    They exit under the swim step, under the water line. I dont know if I have salisbury flaps...I dont even know what those are. I noticed that when I got home to wash the boat, one of the flaps was stuck inside the exhaust tip. Is that possibly the cause of the shaking? I sure hope so...thats an easy fix!