Thread: Help rebuilding 350

LmannyR
    This is my first engine rebuild. I'm learning everything as I go from books and online references. I will finish the rebuild myself too. Be easy on me, pretty please
    The reason for the rebuild is I had taken it apart because it would not turn. After removing the exhaust, intake, heads there wasn't any damage noticed (except for the water in 3 cylinders) and a rusted exhaust valve. The engine still wouldn't turn. At that point I decided to pull the out drive. Viola, it then turned. Everything was basically out except for the block so why not rebuild? I WOULD LIKE to acheive 300-350 hp on pump gas.
    Anyhow, I don't know the specs to the engine as it looks like it's been rebuilt already. I do know it is a 350 small block chevy with 2-piece rear main seal, 4 bolt mains, 4 bbl intake, rochestar q-jet carb. The crank and cam do not look healthy. The cam had very dark lobes. The crank had slightly dark areas. The crank bearings were all dark. I did not number the rockers nor the push rods. It has chipped #7 and #8 cylinder bases (probably why it was rebuilt before). The block is completely stripped down ready for the machining. Not sure if I should strip the heads too.
    How can I acheive my 300-350 hp range with as little modifications.
    If the crank is bad, I'll probably stroke it to 383. What else would need to change in this case.
    I'm very opened minded here so please tune in and post you suggestion.
    thanks!!!
    Luis
    1983 Wellcraft Aft Cabin 230 (engine striped)

obnoxious001
    What area are you in? If you are local, feel free to bring the parts by here and I will discuss with you. Otherwise, photos would help. "Dark" doesn't tell us enough really. Water in the cylinders isn't a good sign, so you probably need to bore to next oversize with new pistons.
    Also, if you can find a good, reputable machine shop in your area, they would probably be happy to look at your parts and discuss what problems need to be addressed.