Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the pro's and con's

Mr. Crusader 83
    of a Berkeley JE Pump?
    Im looking at a 21ft Commander with a 454 and Berkeley JE pump.
    Will it take more power?
    Say 500-600hp?

Bense468
    Thats an insert pump. I would opt for something with a jg split, or jc if it was me. What happened to that ultra?

Mr. Crusader 83
    the guys a f'n flake.

Mr. Crusader 83
    Thats an insert pump. I would opt for something with a jg split, or jc if it was me. What happened to that ultra?
    Its a 21ft Commander with a 454 and berk JE. for $5500 obo.

ck7684
    Depends on what you want to do with it, but it should handle the same power as any other Berk pump. The intake is moulded in and there is no split bowl etc so if you plan on doing a buncha stuff to the pump it may not work as well. If you're gonna run it "stock" (pump-wise) it's a good pump. My boat has an "F" which is an "E" with trim...I dont race and the boat is just for pleasure...
    Pro's: It's a Berk!! Moulded in intakes usually set up nice (in mine anyways)...should be able to convert to an "F" or add a jet-o-vator
    Con's: Moulded in intake, no split bowl, therefore less aftermarket tuning stuff (no wedges), need to pull the engine to rebuild (shaft comes out toward the inside of boat)

Mr. Crusader 83
    Depends on what you want to do with it, but it should handle the same power as any other Berk pump. The intake is moulded in and there is no split bowl etc so if you plan on doing a buncha stuff to the pump it may not work as well. If you're gonna run it "stock" (pump-wise) it's a good pump. My boat has an "F" which is an "E" with trim...I dont race and the boat is just for pleasure...
    Pro's: It's a Berk!! Moulded in intakes usually set up nice (in mine anyways)...should be able to convert to an "F" or add a jet-o-vator
    Con's: Moulded in intake, no split bowl, therefore less aftermarket tuning stuff (no wedges), need to pull the engine to rebuild (shaft comes out toward the inside of boat)
    But I can switch the bowl to a split if i want to add a droop. right?

hotbo
    But I can switch the bowl to a split if i want to add a droop. right?
    most deffenitly you can. and your pump is already set back about 3-4 inches.they are good pumps when you start getting around the 70mph mark then they have problems loading but all this can be fixed. withou alot of money .no they are not the choice for full blown race boats but are very good pumps regardless.you can buy all kinds of loaders add a split bowl droop or whatever the shafts are the same as other berk dominator ect.so all impellers and parts interchange.
    they are good pumps do not be scared.you can make them run excellent and stock form they are good also.

Mr. Crusader 83
    thanks for the info. i got scared when i was told to not buy it b/c of the pump

Mohavekid
    For a cruiser, the "e" pump is a really good option.
    The pump is an insert style and is set back in the hull 5-6 inches, so you get more interior room. They have a built in ride plate which can be extended if necessary. They take the same bowl as any other berk pump, so you can change to a split bowl and add wedges or a droop. Place diverter has a model to fit the "e" pump, and the shift and steering cables are mounted low on the right side out of the way.
    500-600 hundred horsepower should work well. Once speed gets up near 70, the pump has problems loading water, but that can be overcome with a little $$$.
    Good luck.

What does extending the ride plate do compared to a stock plate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast