Thread: outboard performance

robertmayton
    i am building a very small (11') speed boat and i am limited in engine size due to weight concerns.
    i would like to take a stock, carb. 2-stroke, 25hp johnson and pep it up.
    what should i do ( like shaving the head, reeds, carbs, bore, pistons, exhaust, etc) to gain more hp, and where can i find the parts?
    also i plan to run either an add-on jackplate or tilt-n-trim (not sure which is more important when it comes to outright speed). i'd like to run both but finding a small motor with tilt-n-trim has proven to be more difficult than i thought.
    i know that discussing anything less than 200 hp and 20' is not your cup-o-tea but id sure appreciate any help........i am comming up empty handed on the google searches!

robertmayton
    thanks dude!

STV_Keith
    Back in the day (mid to late 80's), Merc and OMC both used to build a 25ss...factory hot rod 25hp race motors. Might look for one of those.

Xlration Marine
    Back in the day (mid to late 80's), Merc and OMC both used to build a 25ss...factory hot rod 25hp race motors. Might look for one of those.
    Didn't they have a 15 as well. Also what about the tahotsu. Check out Scream and Fly, more for the outboards than here. I even saw a pick of some old race motors, small too. check this out.
    http://www.madefi.com/images/DSC00894.JPG
    It's light weight.

Xlration Marine
    I think OMC did the 45ss and a 60 ss with the 15 ss. Here is the home page, or close to it.
    http://www.madefi.com/rides.htm

YeLLowBoaT
    I've got one of the old merc 30s ( 95) that they built just to go race... it actaully makes 47 hp.( stock... just had to pull the restictor plate on the carbs) If you can find one its the way to go for small boats.