Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 Ford Guys Please Read

Jasen
    Hey all you Ford guys, I recently purchased a Cougar Jet with a Ford 460. I have no complaints as the boat goes great, but being the guy that I am and wanting to modernize the stockish boat I am looking for suggestions.
    Here are a couple pics of the engine
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...as/Boat003.jpg
    http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...as/Boat004.jpg
    I am looking to do Headers, Heads, Intake Scoop, and modernizing all the electronics, and anything else or any suggestions you guys might have.
    Any brands, websites or companies that you can suggest will help big time!
    Thanks in advance!
    Jasen

pw_Tony
    www.ford-y-block.com They have a bunch of blue thunder stuff. Or if you wanted to keep those heads Geoff over there is one of the best porters around and can tell you what you need for how much money, to make a HP goal

LakesOnly
    First and foremost, you really need to get rid of the Torker aluminum intake manifold on that engine. It is a real power robber in a jet boat, works best from 1500-2500 rpm. Just an intake manifold change will net you a lot more top end horsepower. I recommend an Edelbrock Victor 460 or a Weiand Stealth, #8012...along with a Holley 850 cfm Double-Pumper, List #4781.
    Looks like your heads are casting revision D3VE-A2A. Assuming bone stock engine (24cc dished pistons), you likely have only 7.9:1 compression ratio. (It's possible that you have the rare forged flat top Ford marine pistons, but highly unlikely). Switching to a set of ported D0VE-C heads would bump c/r to about 9.2:1 (pump gas friendly). Roller rocker valve train upgrade required, as the two different heads utilize different valve trains. (Yes, it is possible to port the existing D3VE heads and get significant power gains.) Porting is mandatory on the factory Ford iron because it is plagued with a restrictive exhaust port, but portwork transforms the heads a la Jeckyl and Hyde.
    We have performed this top end upgrade numerous times and netted as much as 100HP depending on particulars. We sell the heads in any state from as-cast to fully ported, dozens of pairs in stock, if not over a hundred heads...all cleaned and mag checked.
    The only other top end upgrade would be a set of aluminum heads, and of those available a good pair starts at about $1800 and frankly you still need the roller rockers, need opt modify other components, etc...but would offer more room grow in the future. Still, iron heads can support over 700HP.
    Click on our website link in my signature line below.
    LO

ol guy
    Jasen, Lakes only is dead on. DOVE-C best iron head you can run on a 460. It is close to a qwench head and will bump compression big time with-out bottom end tear down. Also weiand steath manifold will pull hard to 6000 rpm with a 4781 holley. I would check jets 78 primary and 82 secondary depending on cam. I ran close to the same set-up and only CLOCKED 82 mph in a southwind with alot of bottom work, and a custom grind cam and chevy valve train. Can be done but you lose alittle lift but gain over all. Ford 1.73 to 1 vs chev. 1.70 to 1 rocker arm ratio. And side note the boat is only going to go as fast as the pump and bottom are up to.

GM Killer
    I would start by losing one of the ski-tows. The weight loss alone should be good for 3-4 mph
    Then 86 everything back there and go from there

Jasen
    haha, hey thanks everyone for the comments.
    What headers are recommended for the 460? I think I would like to stick to the thru transom, as the BB is noisy enough, what do you guys think?
    Also If Im changing intakes, any advantage going with 2 4bbl Carbs? Maybe a little overkill, but I can see myself going with a stroker down the road, and I think they look badass! haha Or is this a mistake? If not, what should I go with?
    Thanks again for the replies!

AaronL
    Aftermarket pushrods, too.... Stock ones do this (at least a few of mine have over 5500 rpm, on D3VE heads with non-adjustable rockers).
    http://www.intakeelbows.com/pushrod01.jpg

1968Droptop
    haha, hey thanks everyone for the comments.
    What headers are recommended for the 460? I think I would like to stick to the thru transom, as the BB is noisy enough, what do you guys think?
    Also If Im changing intakes, any advantage going with 2 4bbl Carbs? Maybe a little overkill, but I can see myself going with a stroker down the road, and I think they look badass! haha Or is this a mistake? If not, what should I go with?
    Thanks again for the replies!
    Lightning Water Jacketed headers are really nice. They make 'em for a BBF. They come powder coated black, but you can have 'em stripped (or maybe order 'em bare ???) and painted any color you want. I had mine painted to match my rail kit. If you plan on running a tunnel ram in the future, then buy one now. A buddy has a tunnel ram on an almost stock 460, runs fine and he picked up 15 mph on the beach . Here's a pix of the Lightnings painted up, they look and sound great
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...l/CIMG0286.jpg

Jasen
    Has anyone went from Thru Transom to open Headers? Did they notice a big difference? Would they do it again if they had to do it over?

haulin hallett
    jasen..
    i just removed a set of bassett over transom headers from my boat with 460..
    if you would like a set they are for sale...?
    mine did seem a bit faster with them but they are not good for a family..lol
    they burnt my wife, my dad, me and my dog in 1 weekend...
    just not used to them hangin out there... but would be good for a single guy or someone just lookin 4 power..
    where are you located?
    they are a very nice set including braided line and a/n fittings.
    also all water injection lines and bassett t bal valve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast