Thread: Optimax Ouestion?

Boatcop
    We've got a 225 Mercury OPtimax, pushing a 22 foot Boston Whaler. 25" shaft. Less that 60 hours on the engine, running proper Merc Premium Optimax oil. 122 gallon tank, about 50 gallons of last year's gas, 70 gallons of new gas.
    Ran fine last fall. Good out of the hole, top RPM about 5,600. No prop change. We took it out to prep for the season, and now it takes about 2 minutes to pull itself on plane, and only draws 4,800 WOT.
    Before I haul it to the Merc Shop (where it will sit for 2 weeks before they can get to it) is there anything I can do to check it out?
    Separator filter?
    Sucking air?
    Plugs?
    It's still under warranty.
    Thanks in advance.

572Daytona
    Alan, I don't know anything specfic about Optimax's but in my experience 2 strokes a sensitive to old gas. Is there anyway you could hook up a portable tank with all fresh gas to see if that solves the problem?

HavasuDreamin'
    Well, I really don't have a good answer for you. My guess is that it is either something simple (plugs, filter, bad gas), or computer related. Your best bet is to take it to the dealer if you don't want to test a bunch of things out. Good Luck

Boatcop
    FYI, a new set of plugs perked it right up. I read the manual (duh), and they said the plugs should be changed at 100 HRS.
    With only 60 hours, it was a little early, but what could I lose? It's now running like a top.
    Local Mercury shop wanted $23 and change EACH! eek! But I got them for around $10 from NAPA. (same NGK plug)
    Thanks for the advice.

77charger
    if its the same one i got a ride in it seemd to run good to me! But that was early season and i dont plan to see how it runs with the new plugs

HavasuDreamin'
    Boatcop:
    FYI, a new set of plugs perked it right up. I read the manual (duh), and they said the plugs should be changed at 100 HRS.
    With only 60 hours, it was a little early, but what could I lose? It's now running like a top.
    Local Mercury shop wanted $23 and change EACH! eek! But I got them for around $10 from NAPA. (same NGK plug)
    Thanks for the advice. Good to hear. $23 each plug.........
    That equates to $13 for about 30 seconds of wrenching........or a labor rate of about $1,560 per hour! eek! burningm
    [ March 24, 2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]